Hermit Crab set-up?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Hermit Crab set-up?

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:46 pm

Okay, so I just adopted a new baby (hermit crab, purple pincher) and my set-up rn is a bit....strange? Basically, I have a molter in a rubbermaid tote (a bit worried about the temp in that one bc i have no heaters in there and it's starting to get cold so idrk what to do) and I have my 3 other crabs in my bigger 18 gallon, one of which is under the sand. I'm worried about what to do and when my other molter comes up since I only have an 18 gallon and 4 crabs in an 18 gallon doesn't seem like enough. Is it? Am I wrong? Anyways, I just put my new crab into the tank (18 gallon) with the other, having a bit of fighting but nothing unusual. I have two heaters and a heat lamp in my 18 gal and the other (the tote) has no heaters. The temp in my 18 gal is around 70-78 and i have no idea about the tote. Any advice? I'm sort of at a loss and I don't have a lot of money or space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Re: Hermit Crab set-up?

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:48 pm

Pictures: Image

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:57 pm

Consider giving everyone a quick dip in the fresh water, so they all smell the same and nobody seems like an intruder.
You will want to get a thermometer and hygrometer for your tote so you know that the temp and humidity are correct for your molter.
70 is a bit too cool in your main tank too. How is the humidity?

As for how many you can have in an 18 gallon, it will depend on their size. As they grow, you will for sure need to upgrade some day.

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92541
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:47 am

curlysister wrote:Consider giving everyone a quick dip in the fresh water, so they all smell the same and nobody seems like an intruder.
You will want to get a thermometer and hygrometer for your tote so you know that the temp and humidity are correct for your molter.
70 is a bit too cool in your main tank too. How is the humidity?

As for how many you can have in an 18 gallon, it will depend on their size. As they grow, you will for sure need to upgrade some day.

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92541
Humidity is great, but temp is 70-78. I have three heat sources and it's still at 70 sometimes! This makes me worry even more about the tote....

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm

sunflower_crabitat wrote: Humidity is great, but temp is 70-78. I have three heat sources and it's still at 70 sometimes! This makes me worry even more about the tote....

Hi there!
I had an iso tank on the floor at one point, and without the heat on, it was considerably cooler than anything up on a shelf/stand. If you can, get your tote up off the floor. That will help warm it up.
Also, are the uths on the tank insulated? If they are padded already, you can't insulate over them, but you could insulate around them. You can also use towels/blankets around the bottom or on top of the tank to help keep in the heat.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav