Crab buried in bad substrate

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Staci4444

Crab buried in bad substrate

Post by Staci4444 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:19 am

Edited: I FOUND HER!!! I look through the bottom of my tank. Not a easy feat. Lol she’s in the shallow substrate, it’s probably about 2 1/2 3 inches deep. She’s a very teeny crab, probably no bigger than a quarter/50 Cent, piece, shell, and all. And when I looked under, she is moving, so I am super excited to see that as well, and now I know where to keep an eye on her and I just sit and wait and I’ll check on her probably every day under the tank, but I’ll try to wait every other day. But I know it won’t happen! Yay, Bea! Picture added you can see her exoskeleton :)

Hi everyone! Thought I was being and buying the sand with the calcium and then read through all the information and am now panicking.

My 50 gallon tank was layered in coco fibers, then the calcium sand, the the top layer of Beach sand they have been in since I got them (September 16). The layers came when I got home September 24. The beach they have had the whole time.

They seemed like happy little crabs. Some burying a little ways down, but I was able to see their shells.

Then I read everything about the sand and panicked. I went and got 200 pounds of play sand, Quickrete, and Eco Earth, and my little Bea, could not be found. Ergh. She went down somewhere and I do not want to dig he out and arm her.

I moved my other 4 into the Rubbermaid tub the traveled home in (60 quart) with proper substrate. But I do not know what to do with her.

How do I make sure she does not die in a “concrete” prison? If I keep e everything damp will that help or harm her? I have a camera in the tank so I can see if she comes up. There is food and fresh water in her tank, and a fresh water pool. Should I also do salt in case?

I believe all 5 are purple pinchers. I need someone to walk me off the ledge. Lol my brain hurts. Image
Last edited by Staci4444 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Staci4444

Re: Crab buried in bad substrate

Post by Staci4444 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:28 am

The is the tub set up! They love the climbing mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
Staci4444

Post by Staci4444 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:35 pm

BImage
Bea is still chugging along. Wish I could figure out how to post videos. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:16 pm

Right on! I'm glad you didn't dig her up!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Staci4444

Post by Staci4444 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:10 pm

Same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk