Heater questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Heater questions

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:16 pm

I am about to order a heater from the bean farm (the 10 gal heater is finally back in stock) and I have a few questions about the setup. I currently have the tank on a wooden dresser. Would that catch fire with a heater on the back of the tank? I also have a big piece of Mopani wood in the back of the tank. Could that catch fire too? Could it melt a plastic plant? I have never used a heater for any of my pets before (It is a 6x17 heater just so you know). I don’t know what is safe and what isn’t. Thank you!

Edit: Should I get a thermostat too?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heater questions

Post by curlysister » Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:31 pm

No, the heat mat on the back of the tank will not get hot enough to be a fire hazard to or melt anything inside the tank, or the dresser it is on.
I have never used a thermostat, I just plug/ unplug heat mats as needed. But some people find them helpful!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers