Our first ponds.

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Sillysheep

Re: Our first ponds.

Post by Sillysheep » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:37 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:I honestly had no idea that hermit crabs required water deep enough to completely submerge themselves. I've had a tank for 3 years, now, up to 40 gallons. They have grown so fast. I have always kept salt and fresh water dishes, like drinking dishes, you know. Since I've joiNed this forum, I saw that they have to have more than that, so I made them some really neat pools, bubbles and all. So far, even my nosey girl, has only gone to the edge to drink. I need suggestions of what to do, if anything. I read somewhere that with a new water source, I would probably see them in it a lot. This is the 3rd day and as far as I know, they've not been in it at all.
Hey silly i jist wanted to say i really respect all the work youve done to bring urself up to speed and give ur crabs the 100% best care possible.

And ps the pools and the wheel look AWESOME. I still have yet to see my crew take up the wheel or go in my pools but everyone is still really new and shy so i imagine in a month or two i might catch them at it ;)

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:I honestly had no idea that hermit crabs required water deep enough to completely submerge themselves. I've had a tank for 3 years, now, up to 40 gallons. They have grown so fast. I have always kept salt and fresh water dishes, like drinking dishes, you know. Since I've joiNed this forum, I saw that they have to have more than that, so I made them some really neat pools, bubbles and all. So far, even my nosey girl, has only gone to the edge to drink. I need suggestions of what to do, if anything. I read somewhere that with a new water source, I would probably see them in it a lot. This is the 3rd day and as far as I know, they've not been in it at all.
Hey silly i jist wanted to say i really respect all the work youve done to bring urself up to speed and give ur crabs the 100% best care possible.

And ps the pools and the wheel look AWESOME. I still have yet to see my crew take up the wheel or go in my pools but everyone is still really new and shy so i imagine in a month or two i might catch them at it ;)
Rosie, that was such a very sweet thing to say. I've been somewhat fanatical from day one, learning from mistakes. Fortunately, I'm somewhat paranoid also, which is why they are still alive. I can sorta sense things they like and don't, and I tried to modify like that. Since I found y'all, it's awesome. I can't ever explain. I had to take the bubbles out (honestly were there more because I liked them anyway) the ponds themselves threw my 5 back. Ha ha.

I just joined here right before you started your new tank, and it was perfect time. Times in my days I think of how your doing. When you were asking about your crabs maybe needing more floor space, I have to laugh because mine had too much.

I'll be honest, for my experience, my family doesn't "crab". So they are tired of hearing my crab tales. I could probably tell them that one jumped up and gave me five and the response would be the same if I said they're hiding.

I'm very excited to see how your guys do. It's the third one visible now? I'm in town right now after Dr. Appt. When I get home, I'll get caught up with your "stump jumpers".

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:

Rosie, that was such a very sweet thing to say. I've been somewhat fanatical from day one, learning from mistakes. Fortunately, I'm somewhat paranoid also, which is why they are still alive. I can sorta sense things they like and don't, and I tried to modify like that. Since I found y'all, it's awesome. I can't ever explain. I had to take the bubbles out (honestly were there more because I liked them anyway) the ponds themselves threw my 5 back. Ha ha.

I just joined here right before you started your new tank, and it was perfect time. Times in my days I think of how your doing. When you were asking about your crabs maybe needing more floor space, I have to laugh because mine had too much.

I'll be honest, for my experience, my family doesn't "crab". So they are tired of hearing my crab tales. I could probably tell them that one jumped up and gave me five and the response would be the same if I said they're hiding.

I'm very excited to see how your guys do. It's the third one visible now? I'm in town right now after Dr. Appt. When I get home, I'll get caught up with your "stump jumpers".

Haha thanks for the interest ;) the third crab is even more well hidden than before! But i left some fresh salmon in the tank an hour ago and with any luck ill surprise em when i get home tonight ;)

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Hey silly i jist wanted to say i really respect all the work youve done to bring urself up to speed and give ur crabs the 100% best care possible.

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Hey silly i jist wanted to say i really respect all the work youve done to bring urself up to speed and give ur crabs the 100% best care possible.

Haha thanks for the interest ;) the third crab is even more well hidden than before! But i left some fresh salmon in the tank an hour ago and with any luck ill surprise em when i get home tonight ;)
Well, I'll keep an eye out for ya. You could put cameras up in your tank, with an app that I could see your screen, and I could "baby sit" while you're away. Ha ha ha

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58 am

Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:

Well, I'll keep an eye out for ya. You could put cameras up in your tank, with an app that I could see your screen, and I could "baby sit" while you're away. Ha ha ha

YAY!!!! Yesterday I discovered poopie in their new wheel, last night Dorothy was walking in it!!!! Made me so happy!! Then, next thing I know, Duck was walking in it, probably pulled Dorothy out ha ha. I'm so glad they like it.

Also, everyday I notice more substrate in the water, I think they must be using it some. Excited to see them enjoy and use these things.

Thanks again all of you!!!!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am

Sillysheep wrote:
Happyhermiehome wrote:I read something here once about someone trying to hook up a pedometer to their wheel to see if and how much the crabs were using it. Idk if the project ever became a reality but it's a great idea! Annnd someone else recently hooked up IR motion sensor cameras to see what their straws were really up to at night and it worked lol!.

Oh and btw, it that a Galileo thermometer in your tank I spy???
It is a Galileo, it works good even though estimated, because I have under tank heaters.

I was thinking something funny earlier. The wheel and all the fun things are for my crabs and their well being and quality life. I, love to watch just as much as I want them to have fun.

Hi. I'm still new at this but noticed you mentioned you had uth but didn't say if they were actually under or on the back of your tank. Everything I've read so far about crabbing says not to put the heaters under. But stick them to the outside of the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:18 am

Cherylco55 wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
Happyhermiehome wrote:I read something here once about someone trying to hook up a pedometer to their wheel to see if and how much the crabs were using it. Idk if the project ever became a reality but it's a great idea! Annnd someone else recently hooked up IR motion sensor cameras to see what their straws were really up to at night and it worked lol!.

Oh and btw, it that a Galileo thermometer in your tank I spy???
It is a Galileo, it works good even though estimated, because I have under tank heaters.

I was thinking something funny earlier. The wheel and all the fun things are for my crabs and their well being and quality life. I, love to watch just as much as I want them to have fun.

Hi. I'm still new at this but noticed you mentioned you had uth but didn't say if they were actually under or on the back of your tank. Everything I've read so far about crabbing says not to put the heaters under. But stick them to the outside of the tank.
Yes. You heard right. I have since fixed a whole bunch of things I was doing wrong. This was the biggest one. I thought when starting, uth meant exactly that. Not so with animals with substrate.

Last edited by Sillysheep on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am

Sillysheep wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:It is a Galileo, it works good even though estimated, because I have under tank heaters.

Yes. You heard right. I have since fixed a whole bunch of things I was doing wrong. This was the biggest one.

Cool.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Sillysheep wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Haha thanks for the interest ;) the third crab is even more well hidden than before! But i left some fresh salmon in the tank an hour ago and with any luck ill surprise em when i get home tonight ;)

YAY!!!! Yesterday I discovered poopie in their new wheel, last night Dorothy was walking in it!!!! Made me so happy!! Then, next thing I know, Duck was walking in it, probably pulled Dorothy out ha ha. I'm so glad they like it.

Also, everyday I notice more substrate in the water, I think they must be using it some. Excited to see them enjoy and use these things.

Awesome, that is the best feeling ever isn't It? By crew have been fairly sluggish and inactive lately, I should be adding the final 2 to the bunch shortly and I'm hoping having some more friends will make everybody feel more safe and comfortable. Also it's been getting kind of chilly here so my tank temps have dropped from around 82* to more like 79*. Just today I made a cardboard/tinfoil topper sheet for the tat lid and it immediately brought the temp up a few degrees so it's more like 84* in there now. I'm hoping one of these changes will help everyone 'come out of their shells' a little more, so to speak ;) hope all is well with u and urs silly :)

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:Well, I'll keep an eye out for ya. You could put cameras up in your tank, with an app that I could see your screen, and I could "baby sit" while you're away. Ha ha ha

Awesome, that is the best feeling ever isn't It? By crew have been fairly sluggish and inactive lately, I should be adding the final 2 to the bunch shortly and I'm hoping having some more friends will make everybody feel more safe and comfortable. Also it's been getting kind of chilly here so my tank temps have dropped from around 82* to more like 79*. Just today I made a cardboard/tinfoil topper sheet for the tat lid and it immediately brought the temp up a few degrees so it's more like 84* in there now. I'm hoping one of these changes will help everyone 'come out of their shells' a little more, so to speak ;) hope all is well with u and urs silly :)
Hi Ms. Rosie. If your add 2 will that make 5?

My Duck is "sleeping single in a double bed" (20 gallon tank) Unfortunately, she is out of the big tank for aggression. She has a supervised visit every evening, hopefully soon she can either go back in there, or maybe Newby will go stay with her. Even though I've been advised to try not to anthropomorphize her behavior, to me, she seems manic. Other than that all is well. I have one down under I'm sure for a molt.... Good to talk to ya. Image When you get some new guys, be sure and let us know how they do.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Did you add the craft mesh to the wheel or leave it as is? Sometime soon I'm gonna do that mod since while I have seen them use it once it doesn't seem to be that popular and I'm thinking they might like it more if they could grip it better

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Did you add the craft mesh to the wheel or leave it as is? Sometime soon I'm gonna do that mod since while I have seen them use it once it doesn't seem to be that popular and I'm thinking they might like it more if they could grip it better
Yes. I added the craft mesh. I made it quite a bit wider with it too. Duck walks on it for hours at a time. I have also ordered one, I think they call it "flying saucer" wheel. It's flat, on a tilt though. I got it on Amazon for around $5. I've send pictures of crabs enjoying it. Have you seen those? Ours isn't here yet.Image

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Yeah I've seen those discs. Since my tank is tall, floor space is at a bit of a premium for me. Man your tat looks great! Did you crochet that shelf yourself? Also, what are the supports hooked up to? Suction cups?

S.C.

Post by S.C. » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I have also ordered one, I think they call it "flying saucer" wheel. It's flat, on a tilt though. I got it on Amazon for around $5. I've send pictures of crabs enjoying it. Have you seen those? Ours isn't here yet.
I've seen those in the pet store and have been thinking about getting one, but I think I'll need to wait until next year when I plan to upgrade to either a 29 or 40 gallon.

I love your pools. Where did you find ones with the downward slope or did you make the slope yourself? A few days ago I added deeper pools to my tank with rocks on the bottom and bushy plastic aquarium plants for them to climb in and out, but I've still been worried that it's not enough. The first night I was checking the tank every couple of hours (probably sounds insane) to make sure no one got in and couldn't get out. So far I've only seen Dudley hanging over the edge. BC and Peppy haven't gone in while I've been watching. I would love to do something like yours with the slope.

Nice hammock you have in there, too!

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Yeah I've seen those discs. Since my tank is tall, floor space is at a bit of a premium for me. Man your tat looks great! Did you crochet that shelf yourself? Also, what are the supports hooked up to? Suction cups?

You know what, I bought that. I think they called it a reptile ledge. I forget the brand name. I'm just about to take it down though. I'm putting in a new light fixture with a uvb bulb. Didn't you start a thread about that? I'm going to look for it. Any way, I'm mounting it in the tank with a timer so these guys will have a true 12 hour day.

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 pm

KH02 wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I have also ordered one, I think they call it "flying saucer" wheel. It's flat, on a tilt though. I got it on Amazon for around $5. I've send pictures of crabs enjoying it. Have you seen those? Ours isn't here yet.
I've seen those in the pet store and have been thinking about getting one, but I think I'll need to wait until next year when I plan to upgrade to either a 29 or 40 gallon.

I love your pools. Where did you find ones with the downward slope or did you make the slope yourself? A few days ago I added deeper pools to my tank with rocks on the bottom and bushy plastic aquarium plants for them to climb in and out, but I've still been worried that it's not enough. The first night I was checking the tank every couple of hours (probably sounds insane) to make sure no one got in and couldn't get out. So far I've only seen Dudley hanging over the edge. BC and Peppy haven't gone in while I've been watching. I would love to do something like yours with the slope.

Nice hammock you have in there, too!

Thank you... you know what, those are trays for trim paint rollers. I got them at Lowes really cheap. I glued the stones on with aquarium silicone. I have four, like each one has an extra one, so I can take them out for easy cleaning. They finally go in them. When I would uncover the tank in the morning, I would see Mi Mi walking away from it all wet. The first time I saw her in there she was with Dorothy, it freaked me out a little seeing them underwater. Just like me, because I was dying for them to get in it. It is easy for them to get in and out of. There is loose gravel like rocks on the bottom. They worked out very well.