Fountain, handmade, Anyone made one? I'm thinking it!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Crabby Witch

Fountain, handmade, Anyone made one? I'm thinking it!

Post by Crabby Witch » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Has anyone made one? With pictures? I've noticed a lot of pictures are no longer up on the older forums, and some newer. Anyway, I am thinking of building one. I have already got the small pump and other odds & ends. I've got bamboo, tons of shells and river rocks. Now for the general ideas and set ups. I've went on lines and looked at some pictures of tabletop fountains, but there not what I'm looking for so far. Any ideas out there?

Also, can concrete be used in the tanks? How about Styrofoam if its covered as a base and to use as a general mold? Thanks
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC
6 small PP, 3Lg/Jumbos, 6 mediums
One 18-year-old black cat & a conure

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fountain, handmade, Anyone made one? I'm thinking it!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:43 am

depends on the type of fountain you're looking for and how much your willing to spend... From what I can tell, your looking for something less permanent?

Probably the most effective type of fountain would be interesting shaped rocks, and have a pump with tubing where the exit of the tubing will "cascade" over the rocks. For the dish, any could do. I would personally stick with some plastic containers as they will be easier to clean compared to using a "ceramic" or stone looking bowl. But that's me!
Concrete can be used, I've used it to make some DIY second levels. The key is the layer it on thick so their little claws don't get through and ensure that there is no cracks. You want an even coating that's solid. However, concrete will give off a bit of "chemicals" - lets just say, in a fish tank they can cause the pH to rise - and best to soak or wash it a few times before placing it in the tank.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:41 am

Hey. What you described is what I'm doing yes. Concrete is OK, that's great.

Anyone have any pics of past products? What I get time I will find some pics to show what I've got in mind.

Yes I'm wanting a slow cascading effect!
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am

I made a fountain and I took it out. I ran into a problem where the water leaked the wrong way and flooded the bottom. Luckily my molting crabs had just gone down so they came back up and went down again. So be careful, tubing comes loose rocks shift whatever the reason. Also the submergable pumps use copper coil motors. The water takes on a copper residue smell and likely taste. I'm not sure if it is bad for crabs

Topic author
Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:03 am

OK. Thanks I will keep that in mind and pay close attention. The one I'm making won't be that large and less then a gallon of water, by far...whatever leaks out will just get soaked up by the top soil I'm sure. I will watch the water color and smell and taste for. Copper.
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:59 am

If you do pools, I would suggest doing a false bottom, so that way you have peace of mind. :) Even a slow leak can be bad as you can notice it days/months later where you already have bacterial blooms and a very saturated substrate.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:52 pm

False bottom, got it! Tnx
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC

todbranson

Post by todbranson » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:43 am
depends on the type of bamboo water fountain you're looking for and how much your willing to spend... From what I can tell, your looking for something less permanent?

Probably the most effective type of bamboo water fountain would be interesting shaped rocks, and have a pump with tubing where the exit of the tubing will "cascade" over the rocks. For the dish, any could do. I would personally stick with some plastic containers as they will be easier to clean compared to using a "ceramic" or stone looking bowl. But that's me!
Concrete can be used, I've used it to make some DIY bamboo water fountain second levels. The key is the layer it on thick so their little claws don't get through and ensure that there is no cracks. You want an even coating that's solid. However, concrete will give off a bit of "chemicals" - lets just say, in a fish tank they can cause the pH to rise - and best to soak or wash it a few times before placing it in the tank.
I know this thread is very old :) But I want to say thank you for this information...