Soap or no soap for washing dishes?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Serendipity

Soap or no soap for washing dishes?

Post by Serendipity » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:59 am

Hello, I haven't been active in quite a while but I've been wondering if you should use soap when washing your food/water dishes? I have heard some people say they use soap but others say that it's toxic to the crabs. I haven't been using soap but I feel like I'm not washing the water dishes enough because they still seem to be foggy even after I scrub them with water. If I should use soap, what kind is safe? Dish or hand soap? Or should I just keep scrubbing the bowls with water and no soap? Thanks so much for the help! :D
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

CrabbyLover77

Re: Soap or no soap for washing dishes?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:19 pm

I always use dish soap and tap water to wash my crabby dishes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:40 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't wash/rinse my crab water dishes regularly, only if they stink. (They had dragged food in there and it was decomposing. I had to fill the whole thing with baking soda and hot water to get rid of the smell.) I just dump them and refill.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:43 pm

hermitsinnc wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't wash/rinse my crab water dishes regularly, only if they stink. (They had dragged food in there and it was decomposing. I had to fill the whole thing with baking soda and hot water to get rid of the smell.) I just dump them and refill.
I thought they were talking about their food dishes. Mine get kinda grimy so I let them soak in dish soap and water for a bit. For my water pools, I just give them a good rinse with tap, quick dry, and refill.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:58 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:43 pm
I thought they were talking about their food dishes. Mine get kinda grimy so I let them soak in dish soap and water for a bit. For my water pools, I just give them a good rinse with tap, quick dry, and refill.

Thanks so much! Good to know 😊
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:38 pm

So many groups label things as TOXIC without having any understanding as to why they think that. It's one of my pet peeves. Dish soap is perfectly safe to wash items with. Tap water is perfectly safe to use for washing and rinsing. Some people like to use vinegar for washing items, and it can be used to wipe the inside of the tank glass too.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:08 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:38 pm
So many groups label things as TOXIC without having any understanding as to why they think that. It's one of my pet peeves. Dish soap is perfectly safe to wash items with. Tap water is perfectly safe to use for washing and rinsing. Some people like to use vinegar for washing items, and it can be used to wipe the inside of the tank glass too.
I fully agree! So many people put out information that they have no research or knowledge to back it up on. It makes it hard for people like me to decipher between what's right and wrong. So thank you helping me out :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:12 pm

Tori wrote:Yw! Image