Cycling pools and testing

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Jenny55

Cycling pools and testing

Post by Jenny55 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

I have sponge filters in both my new pools, started about 2 weeks ago. I did a water change last week before testing and most of the water was removed because the siphon I used was too big. Since then, I found a smaller siphon at Petsmart and read up on HCA about cycling and to test before changing the water in case it is not needed (makes sense). So today is a week since the botched water change and I tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and everything is at 0.

So my questions are:
1-I dont need to add Prime unless I am adding water, correct?
2-how often should I test the water?
3-if everything is negative after testing, do I just do the 25-50% water change monthy and clean the filter?
4-do I have to change the cartridge monthy? I am using the Aqueon betta filter.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Cycling pools and testing

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm

If everything is at zero it sounds like your tanks haven't actually had a chance to cycle yet. Cycling involves waste (ammonia) being digested and turned into nitrites, which in turn is digested and turned into relatively harmless nitrates. The bacteria that do this digesting have to have a food source to both initially start growing and to stay alive. There may just not be enough waste being dragged or left in the pools to trigger their growth. With fish, they constantly "pee" and also any leftover food will add to the amount. You should be seeing some nitrates if there is a working cycle.

Also, completely changing water may temporarily stall a cycle a bit by removing too much ammonia from the water, but it isn't necessarily a mistake either.

1. Correct, prime only needs to be added with new water, to remove the chlorine as the chlorine can kill off the good bacteria along with cause problems for gills. If you get high ammonia or nitrite readings and can't do a water change right then, it can also be used as a bandaid to make the water safer until you can get to it.

2. It's not life or death with crabs like it is with fish if the readings are higher, but until you know for sure what's going on and things are cycled and stable you'll want to keep an eye on the tank and test at least every few days, or whenever you see debris or poop in the water.

3. Yes, if the readings are good and the water seems clean then small water changes once a week are still a good idea. If you notice a lot of evaporation, then changing and filling, rather than just topping off, can be better, so that the minerals that are left behind don't keep building up.

4. No, cartridges should ideally never be changed, as that's where the good bacteria live that make the water safe. I have bits of foam that are over a decade old still in use in my aquariums.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Jenny55

Re: Cycling pools and testing

Post by Jenny55 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for your reply! That all makes perfect sense and I will test every few days moving forward. So I will leave the cartridges be, and when I do a water change I'll just clean the sponges in the water that I removed. And the pools look pretty clean so that makes sense as well. Like I really had cycled pools after 2 weeks lol thanks again, God bless

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk