Aussie salt water myth?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:54 am

:? The email from Merv does not surprise me. That's how he was when I spoke to him and emailed him about other things.

I've been sick and very busy with work but I am planning on visiting the library to get some up to date sources stating that they live on the beach, which they definitely do.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 am

The latest post on the other forum's debate is a copy of some study done of shell usage in Darwin. It is really interesting covering how far they will travel in a night etc. Certainly showed them on the beach.

http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 4&start=80

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:42 am

In regards to Bob and ELHC this is what I received today:
I'm very sorry, At this time Due to illness Bob is unable to receive any of his emails. At this time He is working hard on Recovery.
If you own one of his Hermit crabs and have questions or problems please do not hesitate contacting Tammy at The Hermit Crab Patch at info@hermitcrabpatch.com or Sue at Suebeebuzz@verizon.net They will be in touch with him and can help handle any problems or concerns that may come up. Sincerely ELHC

***I agree with Tabby. I will be taking a break from this thread until further evidence is provided.
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I received another message from Merv:
The reason why hermit crabs need salt water is to blow themselves up in size to break open their old exo skelton to make is easier for the new soft skelton to emerge

Merry xmas
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

Marina

Post by Marina » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:06 pm

I think this argument should stop all together. Sure, this is a hermit crab care forum, but it's also something else. We're all weird, yes? According to those around us, we have unusual or uninteresting hobbies. We may enthuse to those around us, but who cares? I always get that uncaring, "Uh huh." from my friends and family. This forum is also for support. We have one very big thing in common, and we all need each other's support. This particular argument is making us disrespect each other. Think about it. I don't mean to single out Suebee and Jennie, but I have to for a moment. Do you think Suebee and Jennie will be able to civilly hold a conversation now? Will they be able to post in each other's threads? If Jennie has an Aussie come up from molting that she was worried about, will you see Suebee congratulate her and tell her the crab looks great, or vice versa? Probably not, because they'll remember the words exchanged in this thread and suddenly become uncomfortable. That is, if they even decide to read each other's threads. To keep things drama-free, they both may opt to ignore each other.

Different things work for different people. As human beings, we form our own opinions, and there's nothing anyone can do to change them. That's why this argument shouldn't continue. It won't prove anything. It'll only separate the members of this forum into 'cliques' of those that believe in the myth, and those that don't. Worst case scenario, the underlying "you're a bad crabber" tone may push some people to leave the forum and/or give up crabbing all together. That's not what we're here for. I feel the need to play the mommy role here and insist that everyone says that they agree to disagree. I want those of us with differing opinions to still be able to talk to one another. Maybe even consider each other friends. Now, everybody, apologize and make up! :D

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Well said Marina. :clap:
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi Marina,

I think this is the right place for this sort of debate but it should be done with respect for the other person/s point of view. I am not sure this has entirely happened here. I did try to but when I read back through my posts I did get a bit grumpy with my language so I apologise for that.

I don't think there was a underlying 'you are a bad crabber tone" however, I feel is is pretty clear that we are passionate about our crabs or we wouldn't get so involved!

cheers Jennie

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Marina
anyone that has been on here long knows I help all, no matter what has been said. I would even send off a gift if i had it and she needed it. You will see me post in any thread i feel i can help in. I hope when you get to know me better you will see that too. Im here for the crabs. Im also always here for the young members who sometimes are afraid to ask questions. I get lots of emails from people afraid to ask questions in threads because they dont want to be chastised. I would of left the forum a long time ago if i held grudges. I think Mervs colors are coming through clearly. I know that he has asked for help before. My questions regarding him before were to see if indeed people were speaking to him or someone posing as him. Im shocked at his answers but im not shocked at his trying to be a sales man.. I think he is just out to sell crabs, books, salt, and bowls. This last answer is really out there. We all know thats not the only reason the crabs need salt water.. I hope over time maybe we will all agree. For now we just have to agree to disagree.
Blessings, and remember im here for anyone that ever needs help regardless of any threads.. That doesnt mean i dont have limits. unless you have personaly attacted way beyound anthing this thread has come close to. I dont see families threatened and i cant see the HCA alowing that. They have stoped it before and wouldnt let that happen.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Marina

Post by Marina » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:50 am

Like I said, I didn't mean to single you two out. I used your names as examples for those who believe salt water should be given once a week, or constantly. I didn't mean any of it personally, just generally.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:26 am

Hey Marina - it is cool! :) I am not offended by you using me as an example. You had a good point, it is important to keep these things in perspective!!

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Interesting debate. If I may add my 2 cents, I think us humans like to deal with absolutes, to put ourselves at ease thinking "I am doing the right thing". And when absolutes fail to hold themselves true, we don't always think critically. The fact is, there are rarely absolutes in nature as far as behavior goes. TECHNICALLY dropping an amphibian crab from freshwater to full saltwater should kill it due to osmotic shock. In practice, I've never had deaths due to this. In fact, my fiddler crabs freely jumped from fresh to full marine water pools and have exceeded the expected lifespan in captivity. When enthusiasts first found out about their unrestricted access to such wide range of water parameters, most were up in arms, condemning me of reckless behavior :roll:
TECHNICALLY they are supposed to be extremely sensitive to water parameters. I was on vacation and the caretaker failed to follow my instructions. Water parameters were pretty distabilized and have been so for at least two good weeks. Not one single crab death. Lucky? I doubt it. At the time I had 9 fiddler crabs, a couple very tiny. At least one ought to have kicked the bucket.
Technically hermits drown after a while, yet I've seen mine regularly hang out underwater for much longer than I was comfortable with. At first I started yanking them out, thinking they were suicidal or something, after a while I left them alone. I have yet one to die on me.
Sometimes we just have to stop trying to control everything and let nature take it's course, even in captivity. I say give those little guys free access to saltwater and let'em figure it out. Evolutionary biology would have ensured they don't kill themselves, otherwise they'd most likely have been extinct by now. The fact that those little guys are sometimes found on beaches or around saltwater means that if they were that enthralled by it, they would never leave and just as well kill themselves in nature by "gorging". We'd have frenzied colonies searching out for saltwater, only to die by the hundreds upon finding it. Simple logic and a dash of instinct based on personal experience keeping these types of critters goes a long way.
Nebraska hermit crab rescue