Pool Paradise!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Big MaC

Pool Paradise!

Post by Big MaC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:21 am

So we all spend so much time on the tanks but never on the pools. After I upgraded to my 95gw I immediatly made the big step up and got 2 5.5gallon pools.

I made my tank look awesome (I KNOW I NEED TO POST PICS!!!) but then there were these 2 tanks with water.... and that was it... I added rocks to the bottom ... and it was better.. then I cycled the water and added fake plants.... and then.... I decided that I wanted something bigger.... and better..

I am going to be adding LIVE PLANTS, LIVE ROCKS, and INVERTIBRATES (for my newly found algae problem) So this is where I am going to document the change over to all live things, in a new eco-experiment as I'm calling it. I will post my research, pictures, and what ever else pops into my mind as I make the transition to a new big step in my hermit crabs Pool Paradise.

Big MaC- December 30th 2010.
★Rescuer of Illinois Crabs★ Has 21 in a 95gw tank★
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*
<3 The Hermies Want YOU To Help Them <3

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics!
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

houseb

Post by houseb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am

I'm thinking about putting pools in as well, can't wait to see how yours look, they sound awesome! I can't believe how creative people are with their crabitats, it's definitely inspiring.

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Here's what I had going on for years with great success. Glass divider sealed up with silicone, one side for hermies, the other for fiddlers.

Nebraska hermit crab rescue

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:36 pm

So I have gotten a little more research done and I think I have decided on this :D

Freshwater!
Plants:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod

Fish:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod… (3 total)

Snail:

Saltwater!
Live Rock:

Coral

Plants/Algae

Invertibrates:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod… (2 of them)

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod… (1 of it)

According to what I have read this will work well AND it will be safe for both the hermit crabs and the live animals/plants :D
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:23 pm

None of your links seem to work, they are trunkated.
I wish you best of luck and am curious of the outcome, but I do believe you may be taking on too much, especially with just 5.5g pools. You'll have to really stay on top of the water parameters, especially on the saltwater side.
I also think the hermits will make short work of the plants really quick, tearing them up. That's bee my experience, so I had to go with fake plants. Corals may be at risk as well for getting pinched. You are also setting a LONG road for you in keeping the plants and corals healthy. I have a 20g planted tank and let me tell you, it means constant dosing with fertilizers; you also want to make sure you have adequate lighting, otherwise they will whither and die. Have you considered what will be your source for carbon? Will you do CO2 injection or?
Are you sure your pools are 5.5 gallon each? In my picture, that's a 75 gallon tank and half of it was taken by water and it held just about 5 gallons.

Later edit: nevermind, I just saw your pics and I had a completely different idea about what you came up for pools. Looks good, one thing you will have to consider is allowing the crabs to get in and out very easily.
Last edited by fishbone on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 pm

So here are my pool pics as of now with Fake Plants

http://i51.tinypic.com/28tjsqb.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/fld3ly.jpg

And I am very sure that I can do the water changes and keep on top of the biological systems :)

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm

How much experience do you have with planted tanks?
Don't get me wrong, I am not a naysayer, nor do I want to sound discouraging, I just want to provide my experience so you don't set up anything for failure.

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 pm

experience? absolutely none! haha I'm learning by research and awesome people who take some time out of their day to help me on my way :D

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I am sorry to say but afraid what you originally had in mind will simply not work.

IMHO this type of project would be best suited for someone that has had a planted tank and marine tank and has experience with both because it presents significant challenges. I have had both in the past and, honestly, 5.5 gallons is on the very very small side as far as marine tanks are concerned, which will be an absolute pain in the *** to maintain properly.

On the freshwater planted tank, you will have to find a proper dosing regiment to keep the plants alive. They will die, with time, if you do not give them fertilizers AND they do not have access to proper lighting. For 5.5 gallons you will need 10 watts of light and you'll have to figure out a way to mount it close because the light you have now is far too high to be of any benefit. A lightstrip on top of the tank will look ugly. Then you will have to figure out what your CO2 source will be, in addition to macro and micro nutrients. You will need to dose the NPK: nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium. You could always go the "easy route" with Flourish carbon and not worry about CO2 injection or DIY ferment systems which are ticking timebombs, really :)

On the saltwater side, it's the same story. The less water, the more unstable the parameters will be. I am estimating you will have to top off the water about once every few days, otherwise the salinity will skyrocked and everything will die. Marine creatures are just about the most sensitive out there and easily killed.
Assuming you have the saltwater and freshwater side top notch and figured out, you have your biggest enemy: the hermit crabs. They will tear into your plants and stress your corals.

Ask yourself, in the end, what you are looking to get out of this? There are some VERY very nice fake corals and plants out there which you can't even tell are fake. I agree that what you currently have in there looks iffy and unnatural. Try pool filter sand for your bottom, instead of those pebbles. You can see it in my picture. It is white and looks just like the bottom of an ocean. Then start looking online and in stores what decorations you'd like best.

Ultimately, research can only present you with theory. It is real life experience which prepares you. If you still want to pursue this, imho, I would try the two tanks you have now, separately and out of your crabitat, and have them running for a year and see how you do. But, again, (and I am not the only one that has had this experience), the hermits are almost guaranteed to tear things up.

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:24 am

I have done my research and I am aware of what I need to do to do it an how hard it is going to be. This is going to be a long process to get right, but I will be able to get it right, because it is for the benigit of my hermit crabs

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 am

MaC, take Fishbone's advice. Please. Your getting in over your head with all those wants of yours.

All the research in the world is no substitute for an ounce of experience. You simply CAN'T do it and it won't add anything beneficial to your crabs. Also, 5.5 gallon tanks are not necessary. They actually detract from the necessary molting and digging space in the tank.

I am not trying to kill your crabbing enthusiasm, its a wonderful thing. Really, it is. Instead of trying to do a million animals all in one huge tank, why not put all that enthusiasm towards just having crabs in the tank and taking the best care of them you possibly can?
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 am

You do know coral needs very specific lighting, and chemicals added to the water to really thrive? We dose our marine tanks with Iodide, Calcium, things to change the PH a bit, and I'm sure none of that is good for hermit crabs to ingest.

Not to mention corals can release toxins. IF you want coral, marine life. PLEASE do research set up a marine aquarium, and LEAVE it out of the crab tank! It does not benefit the crabs, it could very possibly be detrimental to them!
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Planted tank ferts can also be dangerous to hermits if not dosed right.
How are you going to keep the hermits from destroying the living things in the two tanks?

Topic author
Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm

The Tanks are for the hermit crabs embetterment. I am not sure on ANYTHING right now, thats what I am doing, posting about what I think I will do, getting advice, learning from others real life expierienes.. and by summer I will probably being getting a new expierance of my own.

I think Corals are out of the question. I have lighting for plants / UVA/UVB already hanging over my tank.

I am not sure how I will keep the herms from "destroying" the plants.. in face, I think that is a bit of the idea, haha its good for it to be as natural as possible.

And @Tabby,
There is plenty of digging/ molting space in my tank, I have a 95gw, and Im going to upgrade to a 336 custome made soon... I'm planning for the long run, not the short term :P