Pool Paradise!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Big MaC wrote:The Tanks are for the hermit crabs embetterment
Realistically, they don't really care what is in those tanks besides clean water.
Nebraska hermit crab rescue

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

fishbone wrote: Realistically, they don't really care what is in those tanks besides clean water.
And food. :hlol:
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I was talking about the fish tanks ;)
But you do have a point (if this is what you meant), they definitely are munchers :D
Nebraska hermit crab rescue

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Ah. Gotcha. ;)
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 am

Big MaC wrote:So I have gotten a little more research done and I think I have decided on this :D
Freshwater!
Plants:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod

According to what I have read this will work well AND it will be safe for both the hermit crabs and the live animals/plants :D
I think I can help you on this part- I have freshwater hornwort and ANACHARIS(aquatic turtles eat this as a snack) in my red cherry shrimp tank(7.5g tank), and they've completely overgrown its tank..........they do grow fast(faster with lighting) and if you must go with freshwater plants, I think some of the fast growers like these will fit the bill As for my 7.5 freshwater aquascape tank, I do not fertilize, nor dose it with CO2(very low tech) and they seem to be thriving.. so it is doable without messing with fertilizer.
but you do need some critters producing waste to keep the nitrogen cycle going...(which alot of aquatic plants use to grow).

You have 5g tank that you wanted to set up, and I think you can benefit looking up some of the nano-tank forums for a low-tech set up. I am not familiar with saltwater set-up(but its supposed to be a high maintenance), but for freshwater, it should be easy to set one up.

let me know if you have any questions about it.

my 7.5g freshwater tank with one tetra, 14 red cherry shrimps and live plants with just lighting, no fertilizers, and no CO2)
Hornworts(left), and ANACHARIS(right)

My tank is 12"x12"x12" tall. been set up for about 5 months now, and have not had any casualties, and water parameters are stable with water change every 3 weeks!
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010