Instant Ocean

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hermitcrabs604

Instant Ocean

Post by hermitcrabs604 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:38 pm

I would like to know if instant ocean is good to use for hermit crabs. Someone has said that it contains metal in it. What is the best recommendation for the crabbies saltwater? I have heard that most of you use instant ocean and it works very well. I just want to know, that way I can take the best care of my crabs. Anyways, Thanks!
Hermitcrabs604
5 PP's and 2 E's and RIP to my first crabbies.
Also 3 Cockatiels: Tweety, Sweety, and Skye
2 Finches: Pollo, and Geek
2 Yorkies: Angel, and Teddy
1 Britney Spaniel: Sam
And 13 Kois, 1 gigantic Pacu, and 2 Parrotfish

curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm

oo, I doubt there is much difference in ocean salt mix- I've tried different brands-oceanic, red sea salt brand, kent, etc etc. Not that they weren't good, I just like trying diffferent brands-I amusing instant ocean salt mix now without any problems, though I think I might go back to Oceanic natural sea salt mix because it dissolves pretty fast, and doesn't have any precipitant. I have a bit of undissolved salt with Instant ocean right now.

As for metal contents, I doubt they are harmful even if there were any- most ocean invertebrates, and fish are pretty sensitive to a lot of things, and i am sure there is some quality control put in place to check these salt mixes so as not to kill any tank dwellers or possibly harming them, IMO.

my fav so far, after trying different mixes, is Oceanic!!
Last edited by curious_kitty on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Instant Ocean seems popular amongst the US crabbers here and I haven't heard of any issues with it

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

I seem to remember someone posting a link a long time ago to an off-site page where dechlorinators and salt water mixes were evaluated. If anyone remembers what I'm talking about and still has the link, please post it here.

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 pm

The link is at the bottom of the Mixing Saltwater Instructions page in the drop down menus to the right.
Saltwater mixing page.http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... water.html.
Actual article http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/

The first salt mix I used was Instant Ocean, it worked, the crabs seemed fine. I didn't like it because the 10g box wasn't resealable so I switched to Oceanic which comes in a resealable bag in the 25g size I think. I'm currently tossing around the idea of getting Red Sea next because its the same size/price as Oceanic currently at my Petco.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Think about getting IO reef crystals. There is a bit more calcium in there vs regular salt mixes.

Keith

Topic author
hermitcrabs604

Post by hermitcrabs604 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info everyone! I think I will go with Oceanic natural sea salt.
Hermitcrabs604
5 PP's and 2 E's and RIP to my first crabbies.
Also 3 Cockatiels: Tweety, Sweety, and Skye
2 Finches: Pollo, and Geek
2 Yorkies: Angel, and Teddy
1 Britney Spaniel: Sam
And 13 Kois, 1 gigantic Pacu, and 2 Parrotfish