ok i got a dechorinizer. . . . .

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
snickersnflip

ok i got a dechorinizer. . . . .

Post by snickersnflip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 am

OK, i've been using disstilled water for almost a year, and just now found out that it doesnt have sufficient vitamins. so yesterday i went to petsmart, and picked up some dechlorinazer.

so, i got API tap water conditioner. it says it removes the chorine and breaks done the chlorimine bond. we have hard water here, so that's why i got the stuff that helps with the chloramine bond.

it says to remove chorine, and detoxify heavy metals: add one drop to every US gallon
to detoxify chloramines: add three drops to every US gallon.

so which one should i do, three drops or one drop? and did i get the right dechlorinezer? i don't really want to have to take it back, becasue in the last month, we have had to take back a couple diffent things, and it makes me kinda nervous to take things back LOL
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am

That depends on which one your water supply is treated with. Chlorine or chloramine? If you are not sure and can't find out it would probably be wise to go with the directions for chloramines.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

I think almost all of Ohio has gone the way of Chloramines, so go with the higher dose to be safe. You can call your water company to find out which is being used on your water supply and what the levels are just to be sure. Our local levels are so high that I actually need to double-dose to be on the safe side. (My dechlor lists exactly how much chloramine it can remove.)

Chlorine is the stuff they used to use, and it's pretty much the same thing as bleach. Think pool water. Chlorine would evaporate out of water naturally within 24 hours. A simple dechlor product could make it safe instantly for fish and other pets

Chloramine is chlorine bonded with ammonia to make it more stable. This stuff will stay in water for days. It's cheaper for the water company, and it's meant to keep the water safer for us when we drink it. Unfortunately, it needs a different set of chemicals to make it safe for fish. First, the chlorine needs to be separated from the ammonia, then the chlorine needs deactivated, and then the ammonia needs to be neutralized as ammonia is deadly for fish. So it takes a bit more of the product to work properly.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm

is the ammonia toxic to crabs too? i did'nt get the amonia stuff, because i didnt think there would be ammonia in our water :shock:

silly thing. it says at the bottom " Tip: to detoxify the ammonia released from choramines or produced by fish waster, use AMMO-LOCK" :roll:
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Best bet would be to contact your water department to find out what they use to sanitize the water. I'm not actually sure if ammonia will hurt the crabs, I know ammonia is the most toxic form of nitrogen waste compounds in aquariums so I don't think it'd be good for them. Whether it will harm them though I can't say, maybe someone else knows.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

I've just gone through the exact same process - have been using distilled, bought the API tap water conditioner. I've been using 3 drops to be safe.
Owner of 4 PPs