Replacing water every day?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Amandafrancis

Replacing water every day?

Post by Amandafrancis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Ok, I need reassurance that I am not mistreating my hermies. It's really knid of a dumb question but I have to ask.

Two hermies are down molting and the one remaining one doesn't make much of a mess. Is it ok if I pour out and replace the water containers every other day instead of every day? There is a tiny bit of sand in the water in the morning but not much, and I use mayo jar lids for containers so they are pretty good sized.

Signed, overprotective hermie mom :roll:

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 pm

I would change my salt water every other day (sometimes every three days, depending on the insanity going on in the house at the time), but I changed the fresh water every day.

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 am

if sand it in them then maybe they are coming up at night,but as long as there is enough water in them and it looks clear and smells clean and good twice a week is fine..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
Amandafrancis

Thanks guys!

Post by Amandafrancis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 am

I appreciate the thoughts.

Topic author
saramuss

Post by saramuss » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 pm

i only change my salt water every 3 or 4 days depending on the traffic. fresh water every day.

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:44 pm

My salt water pool I have to refill every other day because it's a popular hang out and they actually manage to get so much substrate in it and splash around so much that they empty it themselves every other day. :?

My fresh water pool is pretty big and has an aerater. I top it off throughout the week and completely empty and clean it once a week. I'll do an extra clean if I spot an inordinate amount of poops in it though.

I am with Sue; if it's still got plenty of water in it and looks/smells clean I wouldn't feel the need to change it every day.
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 pm

i change my water every other day or so, depending on if they secided to have a swiming party the night before. if they had a swimming party or if there is dirt in there, i change it later that day :)

but i am planning on changing the water every day, it's just that my crabs have been down so long, that i got out of the habit of changing it every day. but since two are up now ( still waiting on summersault!) i need to get back in that habit.
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

weekly

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm

I guess I'm a bad crab mommie too....I only empty my water bowls and wash them and refill them once a week. I swear there are some weeks when they don't go in there at all, as there's no sand at all in the bowls.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Your not a bad mommy curlysister! I only change mine once a week also. If they look dirty I change them. If not then I leave them. :)
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

blackorchid77

Post by blackorchid77 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

aw i was wondering the same thing... :)

i sometimes change it every 2 days when its not dirty and i was worried!