making water dishes..help please

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
SkyBaby

making water dishes..help please

Post by SkyBaby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I bought two tupperware containers and have some excess aquarium gravel. I would like to know what brand of aquarium epoxy is safe for crabs and how long to let it cure for. I would like to make the tupperwares look a bit more natural by gluing a layer of gravel/stones over the outside as well as making a ramp inside. Any tips as to how to do that correctly would be great. Thanks!
I <3 My hermies. ^_^

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

I use 100% silicone sealant from the hardware store. In my local hardware store they sell it in the area where they keep the plexiglass/acrylic sheets. I just squeeze a blob on the area I want to cover and then spread it around with a putty knife covered in a plastic bag for easy cleanup. I press a thick layer of gravel into the wet sealant and then shake off the excess. I wait 24 hours for it to dry completely before putting it back in the crabitat.

My biggest tip would be to invest in disposable gloves for this project. The sealant is a booger to get off of skin.

Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 pm

sugarselections wrote:putty knife covered in a plastic bag.
That's... genius! I never would have thought of that.

Topic author
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm

sugarselections wrote:I use 100% silicone sealant from the hardware store. In my local hardware store they sell it in the area where they keep the plexiglass/acrylic sheets. I just squeeze a blob on the area I want to cover and then spread it around with a putty knife covered in a plastic bag for easy cleanup. I press a thick layer of gravel into the wet sealant and then shake off the excess. I wait 24 hours for it to dry completely before putting it back in the crabitat.

My biggest tip would be to invest in disposable gloves for this project. The sealant is a booger to get off of skin.
Does it have to say made for aquariums or will any kind of silicone sealant work? If so, I'll go get some tomorrow along with a putty knife.
I <3 My hermies. ^_^

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 pm

It won't say that it's made for aquariums. It'll just say that it's 100% silicone. I believe the brand I buy is GE and it's in a white tube with red lettering.

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 pm

i think it smells like vinegar when you use it sugar can correct me if i have the wrong stuff, its been a long time..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 am

Ok I'll look around. Thank you everyone!
I <3 My hermies. ^_^

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm

suebee wrote:i think it smells like vinegar when you use it sugar can correct me if i have the wrong stuff, its been a long time..
Yup. Stuff smells awful! Make sure to use it in a well-ventilated area. :) Too much in a place without air movement (like when I sealed the display case in the living room) will leave you feeling a bit odd.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Ut oh.. i like the smell..lol.. might be where i lost a few brain cells.. :D That or those darn fruit smelling magic markers they used to have..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Ok will do. So GE with a red label. 100% silicone. I'll go get some today after work at Home Depot. How long does it need to cure before I can place it in the crabitat?
I <3 My hermies. ^_^

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

24 hours

Topic author
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm

suebee wrote:24 hours
cool thank you!
I <3 My hermies. ^_^

sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:19 pm

I want to buy some of this stuff too, but I was wondering if hot glue is safe in the tank? I wouldn't think it'd be safe with the water dishes, but what about other things in the tank?
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Hot glue just doesnt hold up to the humidity.

sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh darn! Guess I'll go buy some silicon then!
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!