Love this beach pool for saltwater

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
chloe92us

Love this beach pool for saltwater

Post by chloe92us » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 am

I ordered this in medium from this site for my 55 gallon and added a bubbler. The pool is AWESOME. Well priced, has a natural slant so they can walk right in. And it is the same exact color as my play sand substrate so it looks really natural. It has a nice sized rim as well, and the crabs like to walk along it and/or hang out there and get misted by the bubbler. Highly recommend.

Also, wanted to plug this company because I've now ordered from them a couple times and they have good prices and great service.

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm ... id=SCC1807

jmfx2

Post by jmfx2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am

Cool - thanks! Where do you get a bubbler?
Mama to a beautiful daughter, a sweet son, 2 miserable dogs and 19 funny crabs!

piccolo41099

Post by piccolo41099 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 am

How deep is it?
Wife to the love of my life, mommy to 5 boys and 2 girls and crab mama to 11 pp's, 2 straw's lovin' their new 90g home.

sdevine

Post by sdevine » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:40 am

I've looked at these and wondered if they would be deep enough. They have such a nice look to them. Do your crabs mind the bubbler? I'm using a dish about the size of the large pool with a bubbler for my salt water until I figure out what exactly I want and I'm pretty sure they are not digging the bubbles.

Topic author
chloe92us

Post by chloe92us » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 am

My crabs love the bubbler, especially the E's. I posted a pic of my crabitat in the picture section along with a close up of the pool. They sit on the back edge of it right above the bubbler and take in the salty air. Before they went "under" they all walked around in the deep end. My largest crabs are about the size of a golf ball, and in the deep end they are pretty much submerged, so maybe 2" deep?

Topic author
chloe92us

Post by chloe92us » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 am

I bought a pack of the disposable "fine mist" air stones at Petco. It said for even more fine bubbles, before putting it in the tank, fill a cup with water. Suck up a few inches of water and then manually blow out as hard as you can into the sink, basically to break up and release more air holes into the stone. Repeat this a few times. I did, and I have a really fine almost foam bubbler so it's not very powerful at all.

Topic author
TwoC.Anne

Post by TwoC.Anne » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 am

The add says the Med is 2.5" deep and the large is 3" deep. Prices are good. I have the Groovy Jacuzzi and was considering the next size up. I may have to think about this one too.

Topic author
chloe92us

Post by chloe92us » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 am

2.5" sounds about right for the medium....there's a sand "ledge" around the perimeter so that would account for 1/2" or so. I'd say you can fill the pool about 2" with water. I have the medium.

Topic author
chloe92us

Re:

Post by chloe92us » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:31 am

jmfx2 wrote:Cool - thanks! Where do you get a bubbler?
Sorry, I didn't see this before. To make a bubbler you need:

1) A small air pump (about $10-12)
2) Clear tubing ($3 and it will be in the same section of the store as the pumps)
3) Air stones (I bought the pack of 6 disposable ones for $2)

Attach the airstone to the end of the clear tubing, connect the tubing to the air pump, put the airstone in your pool or water dish (you might have to put a small stone on top of it to keep it more flat), then plug in the pump. Voila! Bubbler.