salt and dechlorinator advice?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
shreder75

salt and dechlorinator advice?

Post by shreder75 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

hey all..me again =D

I've been using Zoomeds water conditioner and HBH Hermit Crab salt since I started crabbing almost a year ago...I always use Poland Spring bottle water but I figured a dechlorinator on top of that couldn't hurt...

this stuff isn't bad is it? If so I'll go grab something better tomorrow
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

CrabbyIrene

Re: salt and dechlorinator advice?

Post by CrabbyIrene » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the water conditioner part 1 is ok, but the Hermit crab salt lacks all the beneficial minerals that are found in the ocean. A marine salt, found in the fish section for mixing salt water for reef tanks is more beneficial. Look for brands like Oceanic or Instant Ocean, a box of that will go a long way. I usually mix a gallon at a time since I end up changing the water every day since a few certain crabs of mine enjoy filling the water bowls with sand :evil:
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Topic author
shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 am

thanks for the info! I'll pick up some instant ocean at the local shop on the way home from work today...I'm glad the dechlorinator is ok..because that's what I used to wet the sand...and I was just concerned that there was something in it that would have been harming my crabs all this time..it's a relief to know that's not the case!
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 am

If it's the one I think it is, it will say it removes chlorine, chloramines, & metals.
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Topic author
shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 am

I think that's it..I haven't looked at the label in a while