Water dish ramps (super cheap, takes about two minutes)

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Rocky

Re: Water dish ramps (super cheap, takes about two minutes)

Post by Rocky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 am

coxbrea151 wrote:One thing about melting plastic; IT"S DANGEROUS! Sorry but the fumes that melting plastic create when when melted are toxic I guess.
I've been threw countless lectures with my Dad about melting plastic and all that.
Anyway, as we are on the toppic of melting plastic \plastic+fire, an easy way to kill a camp fire is to put a plastic bottle with a lid tightly secured onto the bottle, ten place in fire, and POP! The fire i out (don't try it)
As I mentioned in the 'instructions' I let it sit out for a few hours to keep fumes out of the tank, once its cooled and hardened up I'm sure it'll be fine
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

I think she might have meant it's dangerous for you to breathe in- Certain types of melted plastic can act as a carcinogen? Make sure when you're doing this you have proper ventilation.

Anyways, I wouldn't use fire simply because with my luck I'd wind up burning myself. :roll:

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

I think (hopefully) That melting plastic on a small scale like this won't hurt to breathe in too much.. And I used a long nosed lighter, no way is fire coming within half a foot of my hand :lol:
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.

DragonsFly

Re: CAUTION with plastic

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Melting plastic does cause it to give off toxic fumes. Melting the plastic can also cause chemical changes in the resulting melted plastic that could result in its now no longer being safe (assuming it really was safe to begin with). There are all kinds of different plastics, and frankly, none of them are a good idea to have anywhere near food or water, at least for mammals (I don't know the invertebrate literature, or even if there are any studies done yet with them). Plastic leaches chemicals into food and water (some plastics more than others) which are increasingly being linked with cancer formation in humans and other mammals; some chemicals that leach out of plastics change body chemistry and may cause metabolic and other physiological imbalances, again in humans and other animals--I don't know enough about crab physiology to know whether these problems would extend to them as well.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

gpw9167

Post by gpw9167 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Most plastic containers are BPA free, or will state if it is BPA free on the packaging, so they don't have that chemical that will leach into what ever is stored in there (food, water) to cause cancer in humans. Of course they are finding new studies all the time how we are poisoning our planet and each other. Unfortunately. :(
2 - cats (Stormy, Gypsy) <<<<>>>>> 2 - parakeets (Polly, Snake)
6 - PP's (Jasmin, Smalls,The Rock, Gary, Big Guy, Wizzer ) 8 -E's (Fluffy, Henry, Sal, Lucky, Charles, Stormey, Larry, Moe)
6 - goldfish
1 - husband , 3 - children

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 pm

My water dish is intended for food, so it must be BPA free, my croquet net thing says its BPA free as well

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm

BPA is just the "sexy" chemical that has lately been in the news. It isn't the only chemical in plastic that may cause problems.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

meanwun

Post by meanwun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:20 pm

I didn't have any luck with this, but on the other hand I got some awesome climbing walls.

Libbster

Post by Libbster » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm

How did u melt the ramp on without melting the whole side of the container?
4 hermit crabs in a 20g Tall tank:
Mitchell, Feelix, Charlotte, and Google
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TinyStarrable?feature=mhee
RIP Sandy, Ralph, Aaron, Lucky, Shelly, Hermie, Buddy

Topic author
Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm

The container did melt quite a bit :P But I changed awhile ago and went with a safer route: poking holes in the container and attatching the canvas with zip ties

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm

You can also use aquarium silicone to attach the ramps to your water dish--my dishes are glass, with plastic needlepoint canvas ramps attached at top and bottom with the aquarium silicone; works great, just want to let it dry really thoroughly before use (I let them dry a couple of days, to be absolutely sure). And make sure you work with it outside, or in a place with VERY good ventilation; until it is dry, the fumes are bad.

― G.K. Chesterton

Cutepetgroomer

Post by Cutepetgroomer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:03 pm

I would aquarium sealant would do the same thing