De-chlorinating Water?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
HermitCrab98

De-chlorinating Water?

Post by HermitCrab98 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Hello! I am planning on getting two hermit crabs tomorrow. I have a 20 gallon long tank that I will put them into. I am going to use two 50 lb bags of Quikrete play sand and 1 brick of Eco Earth. I have some climbing things to use and some hides as well. I plan on using Instant Ocean for the salt water, and for the freshwater, I was wondering if bottled water would be okay for them? I have stress coat water conditioner that I use for my fish tank, and I've heard mixed reviews on using that to de-chlorinate the water. Anyways, what do you guys do to de-chlorinate your water?

megmaholm

Re: De-chlorinating Water?

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:08 pm

You can use bottled water but I would dechlorinate it just to be safe. I think a lot of crabbers buy a one gallon jug of spring water for around $1, dechlorinate it, and use it; then once it's gone, you can just keep refilling it with tap water and treating it. Cheap and easy! I actually keep 2 jugs, one for fresh and one for saltwater.

I use this dechlorinator: http://www.petsmart.com/fish/dechlorina ... tid-300031 It's super concentrated and only takes one drop per gallon, so it's easy to mix up. I don't think one brand is necessarily better than any others, as long as it removes heavy metals, chlorines, etc.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
HermitCrab98

Post by HermitCrab98 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 pm

So stress coat should be okay? It removes all the harmful things in water, but I was wondering if the chemicals that made it "stress" relieving would hurt the crabs.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Whoops, I meant to link this about Stress Coat: It's an interesting read. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 79#p770479 Looks like her conclusion is that it isn't harmful, so I wouldn't worry about using it.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
HermitCrab98

Post by HermitCrab98 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Thank you so much for that link! It will really help me rest assured that it won't hurt them. But knowing how weird I am about things like this, I am going to go out and buy one that I know is safe. Lol. Yay for OCD! :hlol: