Afraid of the deep pools?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
mlakers

Afraid of the deep pools?

Post by mlakers » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 pm

So...I've been really excited to upgrade to deep pools with bubblers and I've been working up to it, going gradually deeper and only turning the bubblers on during the day at first, but it seems like no matter what I do, my crabs remain afraid of the bubbling pools. Is this common? it's been about a month now. I started with lava rocks in the shallower pools then upgraded to ramps made from small plastic ladders that I covered with pebbles using aquarium sealant. When they didn't like either of those, I bought plastic canvas and formed bridges for both pools. I see them approach the pools and then turn away at the last minute. (I tried turning the air pump down, too.) Even my crab who loves water won't submerge. I haven't had a single one go for a swim. I was really looking forward to seeing that. :(

Am I doing something wrong??

Here's a picture of my setup for reference. This is one end of my 55 gallon tank.

Crabinski

Re: Afraid of the deep pools?

Post by Crabinski » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Your pools seem to be about the same size and in the same set-up as the ones I use and my guys were in there as soon as the bubblers were added; the only difference I see in the set-ups is that your bubbler tubing is dark and swinging free while mine is clear and pinned to the glass with a small suction cup -- maybe the dark tubes confuse them? You could try adding small plastic plants (the $1.99 size in PetSmart) to both pools -- if they see another way in/out, it sometimes helps. I have plastic mesh ramps in my pools but only one crab actually uses them...the others usually climb in via the vines and fish net behind the pools and one just swings a leg over the rim to pull himself up and in. Once they're in, they usually climb over the gap from FW to SW or vice versa, often using the small plants to help them boost up, and exit via the vines and netting.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you, Crabinski. That's reassuring that it looks similar to yours. I really want mine to submerge in the worst way, but I have yet to catch anyone even close to doing it. A few are actively avoiding the new pools. I actually put a small plastic cap of salt water in the sand nearby and they drink from that, so I know they're interested in it. I've also seen them "drink" from condensation on the glass aquarium sides. I have one crab (Hiram) who will hang over the edge of the freshwater pool and float his legs for a bit, but still won't go in. (I've been so tempted to just give him a tiny nudge when he's on the edge...but I've resisted.) I do have several of those 99-cent plants. I'll put one in each and see of that helps. Thanks.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Sometimes it just takes them time to check out new pools. Don't worry, they know where they are and will use them. :D

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 pm

I can't wait! I'll post a (victory!) picture once I finally find one enjoying the spa.

me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Mine wont go near the deep pools either. I felt like such a good crab mommy when i upgraded to the deeper pools but they have been totally clean at every change. I put a ladder across them at one time, and Timothy was hanging upside down from the ladder drinking. I finally put a second set of smaller dishes in for the scardy crabs. So far they have only touched the smaller ones. I am gonna keep both sets for a while and see if they get brave.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk