DIY pools or tubs?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
rednerite

DIY pools or tubs?

Post by rednerite » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am

Hi all,

I am upgrading to a 55gal tank for my crabs. I am debating whether or not to silicone in DIY built-in pools, or just get 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon mini aquariums to sit within the 55.

Thoughts/suggestions? Anyone with experience using the sit-in mini aquariums? I've done built-in pools before in a smaller tank, and cleaning was a nightmare. This time around I am thinking about getting a nano tank protein skimmer to help with maintenance.

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions, and I would love pics!
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

Breeezy

Re: DIY pools or tubs?

Post by Breeezy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I like my built in pools with the glass panes in my 40gal breeder tank. However in my plywood tank build, I'm using 2 5gal tanks in the actual tank. They're both pretty easy because either way you're not going to remove the pool, even if it is an option, due to substrate moving. That would be a nightmare! :shock: I have Fluval Nano filter for my salt pool, and a weird upright filter for my fresh pool to make my waterfall.
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)