new water problem

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
crabs_lex

new water problem

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:36 am

i’ve been using members marks purifired water with my crabs but have just recently started treating my tap water with prime but now that the water has been treated with prime my crabs won’t drink it

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new water problem

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Are you using too much Prime? That could be the issue. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:42 pm

everyone says two drops a gallon and i prepare the water by half gallon so i only use one drop per half gallon

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Okay - that amount should be fine. Do you shake the bottle prior to using?

I will tell you my straws are a little picky and won't use the water for one day after I've done their water changes.

Perhaps try letting water sit for 24 hours next time? Your crabs could just be picky.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:46 pm

when i made it i let it sit overnight and yes i did shake it
what water or how do u prepare you water or what do you use

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:48 pm

I prepare my water by the gallon.
I use prime
For salt I use Instant Ocean Reef

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:12 pm

my crabs are weird lately
they all stay buried and occasionally come up for food or water
it’s weird my old crabs never buried u til i got new ones
there’s only one crab that stays up 24/7

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:16 pm

The new water is likely to taste/smell different, and could be a 'shock' (not a bad shock, more surprise) to them as they try to adapt. I wouldn't worry too much, and if all conditions are normal, they likely to go back to their old selves soonee rather than later.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 pm

My crabs have been acting extremely weird in one of my tanks this year too! staying underground all the time. Total change in behavior compared to the last two years!

Aussie mentioned the new water being a shock. I would probably try to gradually transition to the new water. 25/75, 50/50, 75/25, 100% over a few weeks.

As Stacy mentioned too. Crabs can just be fussy. I can't understand them because mine choose to eat poop over beef, chicken, and shrimp. There have been other reports of crabs avoiding water with freshly added prime. It's crab safe, just something they don't like that goes away after 24 hours. I'm like you and usually mix up waters 24 hours before using it. I try to mix several gallons at a time so I only have to do it monthly.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 pm

thanks for the help!
i’ve had crabs for a few years now and i have went from a small plastic cage to a 75 gallon tank! and the things u hear and read ab with these little guys are incredible! it makes me happy to know that i’m keeping these guys in a good home and giving them the best possible care!

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:33 pm

and since like all my crabs stay buried now should i be worried? like this was just recent when i’ve added like 6 crabs to the tank? maybe they r adjusting but i’m not sure and i always worry

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Were the crabs new to you from a store or in bad conditions? Most of the time crabs will dig down to destress when newly purchased. The first molt always seems like the most frustrating since some do not resurface because they were in such bad shape. There is a method to keep them in shallow substrate for a month and allow them to eat , drink, and regain strength before giving them a chance to dig and molt.

If you had the crabs and successfully molted with you they may have dug down due to the change in tanks.

It's really hard to to say for sure what they are doing. Either way there isn't much you can do but be patient and wait for them to resurface.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 pm

i got them from petco
i grab the ones that are in unusually small shells so i can give them ones to get into
and when i got them i place them in a separate tank for a week or two with shells and such

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 pm

i am also in need of new shells
any idea where i could get new and good ones online?
i usually buy from the beach but i won’t be there this year lol

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:38 pm

I really like Ken Lipe at The Shell Store! He was at Crab Con 2019 and had amazing shells and pricing. I think we bought like 60 shells last year! LOL! If he doesn't have what you need send him a message and a picture of the opening with a tape measure in front and he should be able to tell you what you will need for that crab!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/theshellstore

Naples Shell Store is another go to for hermit crab shells. You really need to know exactly what size you need.
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/hermi ... hells.html