Weird flaky stuff in salt water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Weird flaky stuff in salt water

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Today I was mixing up some water for the saltwater tank in the crab tank and I found some weird flaky, foam-ish stuff floating in the water after the salt disolved. I touched some and it was kinda grainy in texture. Anyone know what it is? Should I skim it out of the water? Is it safe to add to the tank?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
FJrocks003

Re: Weird flaky stuff in salt water

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pm

FJrocks003 wrote:Today I was mixing up some water for the saltwater tank in the crab tank and I found some weird flaky, foam-ish stuff floating in the water after the salt disolved. I touched some and it was kinda grainy in texture. Anyone know what it is? Should I skim it out of the water? Is it safe to add to the tank?

I forgot to attach the photos, here they are: (Also, I use instant ocean and stress coat+)ImageImage

Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:37 pm

That looks really suspicious - I would not use that in my tank. What kind of marine salt are you using?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Brian_T

Post by Brian_T » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 am

Microplastic? Do you have a water softener? That looks a bit like the media from a water soften that can leak out if the softener is broken.

Either way, definitely not normal. Throw it away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk