Advanced Saltwater Pools

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
DUDE

Advanced Saltwater Pools

Post by DUDE » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:19 pm

I was looking at a couple more advanced builds on this forum and I saw some great saltwater pools with protein skimmers, reef sand, liverock etc. I was wondering what are the basics to get started(assuming no marine invertebrates are being kept inside), and the minimum size for such a pool

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Advanced Saltwater Pools

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:49 pm

You're probably looking at around 2- 3g min to hold a relatively stable cycle, but bigger is better when it comes to cycled pools. Smaller volumes, more fluctuations.

As for setting them up, best bet would be to do your own research in the reef/marine aquarium forums and read the guides there for a general how to. I recommend checking out nanoreef.com, as its a forum dedicated to smaller marine aqua so will be able to give some insight on maintaining a smaller system. There you'll be able to find a tonne of good info.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies