Water Source Failure--advice for temporary solution

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Water Source Failure--advice for temporary solution

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 pm

So, I was using large plastic containers with plastic "ladders" for both of my water sources. First the fresh water one developed a crack in the bottom; I replaced it with a similar-sized glass one I used to use. Fine. But I just went to clean the containers and found that now the MSW one has also developed a crack.

So, for now, here is what I have--the large glass one (with a plastic ladder attached), which is definitely big enough and deep enough for my crabs to fully submerge (although I've never seen either of them do so voluntarily), and a reptile "ramp bowl" that is about 2 inches deep (a little less) at the deep end, which would not allow for complete submersion of both crab and shell.

In my experience, the fresh water seems to disappear faster than the salt water. I don't know whether that is because they take more of it, or because it evaporates faster???

My question is which container should I use for which water? The bigger deeper one for the fresh water and the reptile ramp water source for the MSW? Which type of water is more important to be deep? For that matter, do they in fact need to be able to COMPLETELY submerge in both water sources? Guidelines have always said so, but maybe there is new info on that?

There are lots of demanding things going on right now as I am here as a parental caretaker, so although I don't expect this to be the permanent solution, it may have to do for some time before I can replace them. What do you think will best serve them until I can find a better solution?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water Source Failure--advice for temporary solution

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:11 pm

PP's are seldom seen fully submerged. So I would not worry at all if either one was not deep enough for full sumbersion, even for a number of months or more.
Full disclosure - While HCA recommends pools to be deep enough for crabs to fully submerge, I personally have never had pools that deep!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:15 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:11 pm
PP's are seldom seen fully submerged. So I would not worry at all if either one was not deep enough for full sumbersion, even for a number of months or more.
Full disclosure - While HCA recommends pools to be deep enough for crabs to fully submerge, I personally have never had pools that deep!
Thanks so much, Curly! I know you've been crab-keeping for a long time, so I really appreciate your expertise! Do you mind sharing what your pools are and the approximate depth, and the approximate size of the largest crabs using them?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:23 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:11 pm
This is good to read. My crab who I've kept for ten or twelve years, has dishes that are only about 1 inch deep, and only for the past couple of years (smaller before that). She currently wears a 2.5 inch shell (opening about 1-1/8"). I have noticed in recent weeks, the fresh water tends to get suddenly depleted (overnight), and I suspect that is from walking through it and displacing water, or, possibly by dragging eco-earth substrate around, some of that ends up "wicking" out the water. So I am upgrading one of the dishes (probably the freshwater one) to a "huge" dish that is 2" deep, mostly so that it will still retain enough water even when I go out of town.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Lots of things, like you mention, can accidentally make water levels suddenly decrease, but usually with mine if I find they are suddenly taking a lot more water than usual, that is a sign that they are getting ready to molt.

― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:37 pm

I also use wading bowls rather than anything deep as my guys will sit in shallow water but never go swimming. I have heavy resin reptile bowls from CC Pet from Petsmart, about two inches high. Ceramic, or the plastic Reptirocks, can also be fairly deep for the XL sizes, and if all the crabs are larger will be safe to use the way they are. (I still had smaller guys when I bought the bowls and the resin is non-slip.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:03 am

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:37 pm
I also use wading bowls rather than anything deep as my guys will sit in shallow water but never go swimming. I have heavy resin reptile bowls from CC Pet from Petsmart, about two inches high. Ceramic, or the plastic Reptirocks, can also be fairly deep for the XL sizes, and if all the crabs are larger will be safe to use the way they are. (I still had smaller guys when I bought the bowls and the resin is non-slip.)
Thanks, wodes! Can you pop a link for the size of these you use? I know you have some jumbos; just trying to make sure I get a replacement that is deep enough for when Major Tom comes back up, but without being able to see them in person, I can't tell when I look online how deep the basin really is (they tell you how tall the whole item is, but how deep the water can actually be in the basin is not the same).

― G.K. Chesterton

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:52 pm

I wonder if it just depends on the crab. I have PPs that swim in the MSW. Today while I was cleaning the tanks I had one that swam twice while I was in the room - (I was in there all day). I do think the PPs tend to use the freshwater more though.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 pm

Mine always seem to take more fresh than saltwater, but I have never seen them submerged in either; they just hang out at the edges. They did love the fountain I had in for freshwater; I need to find a new pump for it so I can put it back in.

― G.K. Chesterton