Water Source Fail, revisited

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Water Source Fail, revisited

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:45 pm

So. . . .

:idea:
Motörcrab wrote:
I post this video all the time when it comes to water questions. I saw this at last year's Crab Con. After watching this I wanted to start experimenting with my pools. I think Courtney makes a lot of valid points and really makes you think. I think it is well worth a watch or two. I probably watched the water portion a dozen times.
https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic
:idea:

Wow. Well, I've had these guys for almost 10 years now, I'm a big fan of creating as natural a habitat as possible, live plants in the tank, etc., but after watching just the water part of that video, I feel completely inadequate. It appears that, to really thrive, they need access to at the very least small balanced aquaria for their water sources.

I've always just assumed that was WAY more than I wanted to try to get into; super intimidated by the very thought; way too much time and energy and what if some terrible bacteria or wacked-out chemistry levels make the crabs sick, etc.? And watching this video makes it seem even more intimidating, with checking all the levels and everything. But then I considered that she is particularly doing research, and MAYBE you don't actually have to be an at-home chemist to do this "well enough"???

So . . .

:?: 1) Is there a "how to" page or video(s) that would show exactly how much trouble and expense it really would be to set up, AND MAINTAIN, pools large enough to "cycle"? What all equipment would be needed, and how often does that mean siphoning off water and replacing, etc., etc., etc.? What are the differences between doing this for freshwater vs. saltwater pools? (Is one easier than the other???) I want to know EXACTLY what I would be getting into if I started down that road; I have a lot on my plate at this point and need to weigh very carefully anything that adds additional demands.

AND/OR

:?: 2) Alternatively, I would also be happy to hear from long-term crabbers who would like to make the case that this is overkill and more trouble than it is worth. I certainly will not be getting into breeding (NOPE!), so this would only be to provide the best living conditions and best behavioral enrichment for my captive crabs.

What do you think? :huh::
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Hollym2247

Re: Water Source Fail, revisited

Post by Hollym2247 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:21 pm

I didn’t watch the whole video yet. I think it is likely that awfully functioning filtered aquarium is better for the crabs. But I’ve had crabs 9 years. If my original two, one died the first year and one either died last year or has been molting for over a year. The second pair I got 8 years ago are thriving.

I have crocks of water for their pools, about 4 inches deep and I change the water every few days. So far so good with my tat. They’re growing, molting, trying to mate, and thriving. So while I’m sure it’s nice to have bioactive aquariums, I think pools are fine for the hobbyist.

I’m sure my sub is bioactive. I don’t seem to have any poop build up, I have a little algae but it hasn’t gotten bigger over the years, it’s not stinky and I don’t do anything to it.

Side note - it’s my opinion that hermit crabs should not be sold as pets. Wild harvesting is barbaric. I didn’t know 8 years ago what I know now, and have adopted two solos and a pair in the past 5 years. I will do the best I can for them as long as they live, so long as it is reasonable. But 20 years from now when this crew is gone, unless captive breeding takes off, I’m out of crab keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Filtered bioactive pools have been gaining popularity but it’s not a requirement. It’s not going to have a major effect on lifespan and there are other ways to provide enrichment.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Hollym2247 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:21 pm
I’m sure my sub is bioactive. I don’t seem to have any poop build up, I have a little algae but it hasn’t gotten bigger over the years, it’s not stinky and I don’t do anything to it.
Clarification: algae in the sub??? Or in your water sources?

Hollym2247 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:21 pm
Side note - it’s my opinion that hermit crabs should not be sold as pets. Wild harvesting is barbaric. I didn’t know 8 years ago what I know now, and have adopted two solos and a pair in the past 5 years. I will do the best I can for them as long as they live, so long as it is reasonable. But 20 years from now when this crew is gone, unless captive breeding takes off, I’m out of crab keeping.
Complete and total agreement here; I wish we could get laws passed to ban sale of any wild animals, period. The notion of removing these animals by the thousands from delicate island ecosystems to sell them as "pets" for children, with misleading and often just plain incorrect care guidance that results in the vast majority of them dying horribly, is just a nightmare. I'm sure if parents realized the full truth about them, including that they are really not good "pets" for children for layers upon layers of reasons in the first place, the market would just dry up. But how to get the word out. . . :?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 pm

DragonsFly wrote: Clarification: algae in the sub??? Or in your water sources?

Complete and total agreement here; I wish we could get laws passed to ban sale of any wild animals, period. The notion of removing these animals by the thousands from delicate island ecosystems to sell them as "pets" for children, with misleading and often just plain incorrect care guidance that results in the vast majority of them dying horribly, is just a nightmare. I'm sure if parents realized the full truth about them, including that they are really not good "pets" for children for layers upon layers of reasons in the first place, the market would just dry up. But how to get the word out. . . :?
There’s algae on one side of the glass in the substrate, the mossy/wet/cooler side. Yes t has been there for years. It’s not spreading or problematic, so I leave it. Image

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:44 am

Okay; yes, I had that happen on one side of my old 55g too; the side that got the most light from the surrounding room.

― G.K. Chesterton

Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 am

Yes, it’s the open short end that gets sunlight. The other two sides that get sunlight are covered by UTHs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 am

If looking for a how to, best to head over to an aquarium forum and look there. Multiple guides on aquarium setup, maintenance and run-down of what to expect.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 am
If looking for a how to, best to head over to an aquarium forum and look there. Multiple guides on aquarium setup, maintenance and run-down of what to expect.
Thanks, Aussie! Got a favorite to recommend???

― G.K. Chesterton