unrefined celtic sea salt?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author

unrefined celtic sea salt?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:15 pm

i have heard of instant ocean, but they didn't have any at the pet store i was at today, however what i DO have is unrefined celtic sea salt. i use it for myself because of its high mineral content.

also, i bought some dried ground kelp, as well as spriulina, and dulse. should i give these to them dry, or in water?

thanks ya'll!!!!

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:22 am

I believe somebody here tried mineral-rich type salts for their hermies, and these were the results: Water made with the salts became slimy fast (in a couple of hours), presumably because of the high level of minerals. There was also the problem of not knowing exactly how much to add to the water. However, they did have great results with adding the salt to the hermies' food.

Instant Ocean isn't the only brand out there, it's not even the best (although this varies, depends on who you ask). There are plenty of other brands of marine aquarium salt, and nearly every pet store should sell at least one brand. Oceanic, Red Sea, Tropic Marin, Real Ocean, Kent, Marinemix, Coralife, API Aquarium Salt....those are all the brands I can think of. Any one of them will be fine.

Topic author

celtic sea salt

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am

This stuff is okay for food, but I wouldn't make saltwater with it. We've discussed it before on one of the forums, and I remember that someone even said the product was harvested w/ wooden rakes.

Topic author

celtic salt

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:45 am

Here's what I wrote on the CSJ after I researched this celtic salt:
Almost all of the sea salt sold for human consumption has anti-caking agents that are harmful to crabs--even the stuff you buy at the healthfood stores. Plus, it is usually much more expensive than the salt sold for aquariums. Sometimes it has iodine or other additives that crabs shouldn't have. I did find something called celtic sea salt that seems to be the exception, but since I don't know how it should be mixed, I just offer it occassionally in crystal form in a dish next to their food dish. I can't see that they've taken any interest in it anyway.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:42 pm

i'm glad i didn't give it to them!!!!! however, i know it doesn't contain an anti-caking agent, because i checked before i bought it. it's not one of those free-flowing salts. and it is not iodized, which is weird that they do that anyway because you don't really need that much of it to live. the food industry is SO crazy!!!! regardless, i'm going to purchase some instant ocean today.

i'm really glad that i learned not to feed my hermies commercial food because of the preservative they use as a pesticide---what's up with that? when i had a hamster i always made his own food, because in his case they usually spray their food with blood to add vitamins :tongue2:

thanks for all the info everyone

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:58 pm

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:22 pm

thanks for the salt links!!! I actually noticed that when i started using celtic sea salt i started losing weight. now that i'm out of it, i'm not gaining but i'm craving salty foods again. its good stuff that celtic sea salt!!! i'm going to print the artical for my grandma :P