Moving a buried, possibly molting crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
AML

Moving a buried, possibly molting crab

Post by AML » Sun May 01, 2016 1:30 pm

How would you successfully move a buried possibly molting crab without harm???

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Kittykimbro@att.net

Re: Moving a buried, possibly molting crab

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Mon May 02, 2016 12:42 am

Do you have an emergency that requires moving him? If so , someone on here recommended carefully removing substrate from above him. The leaving a rectangle area and moving the entire area to an ISO tank, being careful not to colapse the tunnels that allow him to breathe. I will try to find the post and get back with you.

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Mon May 02, 2016 1:35 am

So I couldn't find the one that I was referring to. I did find this. Hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=104094#p953249

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 02, 2016 1:38 am

I just did this - what I do is extremely carefully search the tank. I make a ditch to the very bottom on one end of the tank, and then slowly scrape off a small amount at a time until I reach the other end or all crabs have been found, stopping the moment I feel the sand give way (cave) or something hard (potential crab). Once a crab has been found I carefully excavate around it until it's free, then handle it only by the shell. It gets moved straight into a divot made in an iso (with 6 inches substrate) with any shed exo it may have sitting directly underneath it. I then press a cocohut or bowl over the crab and leave it alone until it digs up on it's own. I have done this dozens of times over the years and have never lost a crab this way.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
AML

Post by AML » Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 am

As for why I'm moving my crabs, I got a larger tank. I have 5 crabs currently in a 10 gal. I got a 40 gal to move them all into but 4 of my 5 are buried and was wondering the best way to move them to their new home. They are currently in calci sand, the new tank will have the appropriate moist play sand mixed with coconut fiber.

I am new to all this, what is an iso tank?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 04, 2016 2:00 am

Isolation tank - a smaller barebones enclosure for use in emergencies, to separate out hermits who are injured or new or who had trouble with molting. It's not a must, but with multiple hermits it's a good thing to have around.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram