Naked crab, odd molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Sensi

Naked crab, odd molt

Post by Sensi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I found a naked crab yesterday while doing some tank cleaning. The crab is an E and his exo is hardened. I got it back in a shell but the odd part is that this crab was a tan color and now after this molt it is almost white. And it has a deformed leg that is bent outwards in a sort of curve. I've been a crabber for ten years and never had this happen. Just wondering if another molt will fix his leg and if he's safe in my main tank.
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(

Topic author
Sensi

Re: Naked crab, odd molt

Post by Sensi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Sensi wrote:I found a naked crab yesterday while doing some tank cleaning. The crab is an E and his exo is hardened. I got it back in a shell but the odd part is that this crab was a tan color and now after this molt it is almost white. And it has a deformed leg that is bent outwards in a sort of curve. I've been a crabber for ten years and never had this happen. Just wondering if another molt will fix his leg and if he's safe in my main tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:19 pm

If he was naked while molting and hardened without a shell, that's the reason he has the crooked legs. As far as the color goes, he may darken up. The damage should go away after the next molt as long as he stays in a shell.

Would you mind filling the emergency questions out? Maybe we can help figure out why he went nakie. It's very unusual for crabs to molt outside of their shells.

10 years in crabbing! Awesome :)

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102

Topic author
Sensi

Post by Sensi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Been a little while. I ended up iso-ing the crab after finding him naky once again. This time someone else was wearing his shell. He's been perfectly fine in ISO.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Play sand/eco earth, pretty close to 5 inches deep
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? Yes. Side, close to the top. 75-80 degrees, 70-80% humidity.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A large heat mat thingy. The kind that you stick to the outside.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Tap water with dechlorinator (not sure brand) Salt water 1tsp salt per cup of water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
All fresh fruits, veggies and meats, eggs shells...Very, very occasionally commercial food if I will be out of town. Changed every day to every other, depending on what's in there
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I've had most of my crabs for at least 5 years. It is an Ecuadorian.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes. Sometime before this original post
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
75 gallon aquarium, plexiglass lids (looking for a different solution as it warps and I have to keep flipping it over)
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Ten or so. Two very smalls. Of the other 8 one is large, the rest are medium. They seem to get along well for the most part
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Several dozen of varying sizes
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Dishes are cleaned about once every week (food dishes every time food is changed) Complete substrate change maybe once per year. Other than that I wipe down the inside glass with plain water every so often and spot clean the surface sand as I can
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful? All the rest seem to be doing just fine. No drama or anything.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 am

I would recommend deepening the substrate. Large crabs need deeper substrate and Es of any size seem to do better with lots of deep substrate.

Like SG said, the bent leg is from being out of his shell while still soft, which is not normal - molting crabs do not leave their shells. The pale color is likely just from being so soon out of a molt and he'll probably darken up more. The bent leg should be repaired during his next molt or two.

What brand salt mix are you using? Here's a chart that breaks the measurements down into smaller portions. 1 tsp per cup does not sound correct.
All of the major salt brands are measured the same, depending on how much you need:

1 gallon of water to ½ cup of salt mix
½ gallon (which is 2 quarts) of water to ¼ cup salt mix
1 Pint (which is 2 cups) of water to 1 Tablespoon (which is 3 teaspoons) salt mix
1 cup of water to ½ Tablespoon (which is 1 and ½ teaspoon) of salt mix
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92553

I don't think it explains the issues but I also wanted to mention that Es do best with temps 80-90F.

Topic author
Sensi

Post by Sensi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm

I don't know the brand off hand. I buy it at Pet Smart and follow the directions. Like I said, in the almost ten years I've kept crabs I've never had one come from a molt like this. About half of my buddies are E's. I will see if I can get the temp up.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Double check the type of salt mix you are using. There are many out there that are sold for hermit crabs or freshwater aquariums that, while not harmful, are lacking in many elements that are vital to healthy molts and overall crabby well being. Marine-grade mixes that are designed to mimic seawater are what you're looking for. There's more detailed info in the link I posted above.

Please, also considering deepening the substrate. Minimum depth recommended for large crabs is 8 inches. More here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92542.

Topic author
Sensi

Post by Sensi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]