Bad Situation.. Move and Isolate?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
TheDivineZero

Bad Situation.. Move and Isolate?

Post by TheDivineZero » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 pm

I hope this is the right place, and I apologize if it isn't!

This is not my crab, but my cousin's. He has a 20 long with 4 crabs. One of which, Bison, is either extra-large, or a small Jumbo. A few weeks ago, I helped him mix some sand and EE sub. e has about 3-4 inches, as that was all the sand available at the time. Per crab behavior, nearly every crab went under, including the huge crab, Bison. My best guess is that he is molting, because his leg tips were in horrible shape.

He said one crab is still active, maybe 2, and have poked around where Bison is. We are both really concerned. I have an extra 10 gallon, and I have thought about setting it up at his house, and carefully moving Bison over and putting a hide over him. I understand that moving crabs is dangerous, but I'm afraid that since he is so large, he might become a target to the other crabs. He can't see him, otherwise I would have more info to offer.

He has a 55, but I need to get money from his parents for lids and his Ultratherm, otherwise we'd have a bare-bones setup and move the active crab over.

Should we attempt moving him to the 10, or just try and sit tight for him to resurface?
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

MsWorld

Re: Bad Situation.. Move and Isolate?

Post by MsWorld » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:50 pm

What about moving the active crabs over to the 10 gallon and leave Bison alone. It is never a good idea to dig up a crab especially when they are molting. If it was me personally that is what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheDivineZero

Post by TheDivineZero » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Thank you! I hadn't even thought of that :oops: Yeah, I'm going to talk to him and we'll move the other(s) over!
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Good luck hope it all works out! I second MsWorld, never a good idea to dig up molters!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I would suggest carefully adding substrate at about 1/2 inch per day until it gets deep enough.

You ideally want 3X deeper than your largest crab.

I have 12" of substrate in my 55 gallon tank.