My crab has been underground really long! Please help?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jen1986

My crab has been underground really long! Please help?

Post by Jen1986 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 pm

My pp crab has been underground for like 6 weeks as of tonight. I'm a bit worried. My crabs seem to do this quite often, but don't come up looking any different. I got them from the pet store in March and one of them were surface molting when I got it. It died because of it! I don't want to lose any more! Please advise? Took his shell with him! Temps in range, humidity in range, have all basics too! Not sure what else. Is it dead?!

soilentgringa

Re: My crab has been underground really long! Please help?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:47 am

It is probably molting.

Most new crabs spend several weeks to a few months (or longer depending on size) underground molting.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92522

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Usually when I begin to get apprehensive, they make their big appearance ;)
6 weeks is nothing, he could very well have just gotten comfy let alone molted! Good luck!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

TazandBruce3

Post by TazandBruce3 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Jen1986 wrote:My pp crab has been underground for like 6 weeks as of tonight. I'm a bit worried. My crabs seem to do this quite often, but don't come up looking any different. I got them from the pet store in March and one of them were surface molting when I got it. It died because of it! I don't want to lose any more! Please advise? Took his shell with him! Temps in range, humidity in range, have all basics too! Not sure what else. Is it dead?!
Sounds like your crabbie is molting! Depending on the size of your crab, they may not be in the substrate for much longer. Molting is natural, and means that you have to right conditions for the crab to feel comfortable enough to go through the process.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Proud Owner of 3 Purple Pinchers:

Taz the Runner
Gatsby the Escape Artist
Lissette the Climber

Gone But Not Forgotten:

Bruce the Gentle Giant

"Verily, there is heavenly reward for every act of kindness done to a living animal."-Prophet Muhammad

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Ours is going on 9.5 weeks. Haven't heard anything in the tank either. Hang in there!!

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:31 am

I have med -large crabs and they stay down at LEAST 2/1/2 months! So hang in there and be patient as (I have to remind myself constantly lol !)
My newest crab went down the day I bought it and actually doubled it's size!

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Persia352 wrote:I have med -large crabs and they stay down at LEAST 2/1/2 months! So hang in there and be patient as (I have to remind myself constantly lol !)
My newest crab went down the day I bought it and actually doubled it's size!
My 2 crabs pina and mango took 2 months maybe a little longer and came up and we're both twice their size. My other medium went down for his second molt it's been almost a month. It takes a lot of patience and its a very scary time but as long as their healthy and you provide them proper care and food they should survive their molt and come up healthy and new

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk