I need help..

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Heatherleighhh

I need help..

Post by Heatherleighhh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

I need some insight. Three times now I've had a crab come up after being buried really light colored. They hang around like normal for a couple days then decide to run naked an end up dying. I've gotten each one to reshell but they still die shortly later. I thought it was something I did wrong with E's because both I owned did this but now this crab is a PP. What's happening? Are they being disturbed in some way or sick? This crab has molted before so I don't believe it's stress related

soilentgringa

Re: I need help..

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Fill out the emergency template so we can address any points of concern.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Heatherleighhh

Post by Heatherleighhh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Sand, eight inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? One for temp an humidity mounted mid tank. They stay pretty steady at 80/80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Heating mat on one end of tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh an salt water. Treated to instructions found on this site  

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Ive been making my own food the past year. Food is replaced daily

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Ten months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? He molted I would say a few months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 55 gal tank with a half glass half plastic lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? Eight. Ranging from jumbo to teeny (the teeny one is the sick one)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? At least 20 shells in ranging sizes for each one

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Beyond cleaning the dishes often I don't really clean. I do remove a couple inches of sand an add fresh about once a year.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Nothing new

Topic author
Heatherleighhh

Post by Heatherleighhh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:39 pm

As a update I want to add he's currently in a iso tank with a little water on the bottom an some shells. He's refusing the shells. Very weak, barely moving, appears to be even lighter in color almost white.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:20 am

He is in a shell though?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:08 am

I'm sorry to reply to this so late! Have you checked your sub to see if it's holding caves? Try using a chopstick or similar object against the glass and see if your tunnels are holding...perhaps it would be best to just change the sub out? Nothing truly jumps out at me, though you might want to add a few more shells as we recommend at least 3 options per crab, but I honestly don't think that is your problem. After 3 crabs though with the same problem it is worth a try though, as sub isn't very expensive... I would also just make sure they are getting lots of calcium through ground oyster shell, egg shells, cuttlebone, and chitin sources such as shellfish, crayfish, unpeeled shrimp. Astaxanthin is also in those items, and is very important to crustacean health. Also make sure they are getting daily sources of protein. Beta carotene are also very important. Red and Orange Bell peppers, Spirulina, and carrots are great sources. Good luck, and best wishes, I truly hope you get to the bottom of whats going on with your little guy. :/