First molter, need info

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
kieagcarm

First molter, need info

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Ok, how do I keep the sub moist enough while Gary is under?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

TyCoz

Re: First molter, need info

Post by TyCoz » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

You can spray it with a mister or splatter it with a spoon if you need more water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCoz

Post by TyCoz » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Also, sometimes I put a sipping wet sponge on the mesh above the cage and it will drop onto the substrate over time

TyCoz

Post by TyCoz » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:24 pm

TyCoz wrote:Also, sometimes I put a sipping wet sponge on the mesh above the cage and it will drop onto the substrate over time

sorry I meant sopping wet

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Thank you, I just put substrate in tonight, not even 5 minutes after Gary was digging down. He is inside the hut, but dug under inside. He's completely under, should I move the hut, so the other two can still go inside?

hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:24 pm

If the sub is sand castle consistency then it should be fine. It's surprising, but the sub actually holds moisture very well. I wouldn't worry, you are probably good to go :)

Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

TyCoz

Post by TyCoz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 am

If he's completely under I would say that it's safe to move the hut

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 am

How do I know it is moist enough? Gary came back up about two hours later. Did that mean it wasn't moist enough? The top of the sub is dry already this morning. I don't have a humidity thermometer yet or anything to keep the moisture up other than my spraying the sand with a spray bottle

TyCoz

Post by TyCoz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:38 pm

kieagcarm wrote:How do I know it is moist enough? Gary came back up about two hours later. Did that mean it wasn't moist enough? The top of the sub is dry already this morning. I don't have a humidity thermometer yet or anything to keep the moisture up other than my spraying the sand with a spray bottle

if you stick a skewer or pencil in the sub and pull it out and it leaves a hole without caving in it's perfect

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:33 pm

If it doesnt hold shape when you do the pencil test (assuming no molters are currently down) take everything out of the tank. Then add fresh dechlorinated water to the sub in small increments mixing the sub and water thoroughly, until you get a sandcastle like consistency. You don't want it soupy just to the point where it holds shape when you grab a fist full.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:26 am

Hi there, first molt is always anxious. If your sub is sandcastle wet ( stick your finger in/if the tunnel your finger made doesnt collapse, you're good)
I would not drop heavy splashes of water for fear of making substrate unstable. I stay away from sponges, they get moldy really fast.
Your crab may bury and re-emerge several times as he figures out the "best spot". Misting daily is what I did. I have a crab that looks like Casper (grey and completely hairless) but he refuses to molt. He buries but comes up grey. Hes not ready.

Trust your animals.
It is my opinion that moving hides/decor when crabs are dug down, is dangerous. Mist every day w FW and he will dig down and figure it out. Ive had 1 successful molt. Two 35+ days of destressing (no molt) dug down crabs. Make sure your tank levels stay optimal even when crab is down.
Good luck. Ask a million questions. This place is awesome. :crabblush:
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 pm

CrabMater wrote:Hi there, first molt is always anxious. If your sub is sandcastle wet ( stick your finger in/if the tunnel your finger made doesnt collapse, you're good)
I would not drop heavy splashes of water for fear of making substrate unstable. I stay away from sponges, they get moldy really fast.
Your crab may bury and re-emerge several times as he figures out the "best spot". Misting daily is what I did. I have a crab that looks like Casper (grey and completely hairless) but he refuses to molt. He buries but comes up grey. Hes not ready.

Trust your animals.
It is my opinion that moving hides/decor when crabs are dug down, is dangerous. Mist every day w FW and he will dig down and figure it out. Ive had 1 successful molt. Two 35+ days of destressing (no molt) dug down crabs. Make sure your tank levels stay optimal even when crab is down.
Good luck. Ask a million questions. This place is awesome. :crabblush:
If they stay down so long, how can you tell if they molted or not

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:22 pm

kieagcarm wrote: If they stay down so long, how can you tell if they molted or not

Typically when they come up from a molt, they'll have sharper "toenails" and hairier legs. Coloration and size are factors too but less noticeable.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:32 am

I just want to clarify that moving hides and such around with molters down is totally fine as long as you are not packing the sand down. I actually like to rearrange when most are down, it makes it easier with less crabbies in the way! :)

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 am

Also, OVER misting can eventually flood the tank to!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk