Surface molt!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Ijustcantsayno

Re: Surface molt!

Post by Ijustcantsayno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 am

I did dig up a whole corner in the deep end and it didn’t stink. I’ll check a few more places but if smell is the indicator i think I’m in the clear.

Topic author
Ijustcantsayno

Re: Surface molt!

Post by Ijustcantsayno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I used the chopstick method. No stink, so I should be in the clear for a bacterial bloom. On another happy note my seriously crazy crab has eaten almost all of his old exo. He ate a little bit of banana, coconut oil, and freeze dried krill last night so i decided to let him out of isolation. He went right into my mason jar moss pit. It’s a mason jar that is under the sub except for the opening which i have sort of in the middle with the open end sticking out towards the side with less substrate. I put some raw organic honey crushed krill close to the entrance/exit of the moss pit. There is also another separate dish on the deeper end with the same mix and that is in addition to the “regular” offering of the day, which happens to be fresh bell pepper and chicken. They also all have access to cuttlebone constantly. My fingers are crossed, other than his strange molting location he seems to be okay.