Buried crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
squid

Buried crab

Post by squid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,
One of my crabs has been buried since last Monday and I assume he is moulting. There are no holes on the surface of the substrate, so I assume he dug himself down under one of the hides (it is a 90* elbow for plumbing, one end facing out and the other pushed into the sand). None of the other crabs hang out around there, and it would be impossible to isolate him without collapsing any tunnels he may have made. Is it ok to leave him as he is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Buried crab

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:43 pm

They backfill their holes so your crab could be anywhere underground. Just leave it be.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Crabs do NOT need to be isolated to molt. They should be left in the main tank. With proper substrate of proper depth, they will do just fine. The only time a crab should be dug up is in the rare occurrence of a flood or bacterial bloom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
squid

Post by squid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 am

Thank you so much!! I read that you should put a pop bottle around them? Idk I guess not then. The other crabs aren’t bothering the buried one so should be fine?

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:33 am

squid wrote:Thank you so much!! I read that you should put a pop bottle around them? Idk I guess not then. The other crabs aren’t bothering the buried one so should be fine?

That is more if they started to surface molt. But underground they are pretty safe. And if they surface molt and need to be isolated, that is a good sign something else is wrong in their enclosure. That he burried himself is a good thing. So yes he should be okay.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am

Yes, as Angel said, the pop bottle method is if they need to be isolated from the other crabs for a reason like a surface molt. The only time one of my crabs dug up the other one was when I didn't have enough depth of substrate (I failed to add more substrate as Sonny got larger!).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers