All of them?!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Beckanai

All of them?!

Post by Beckanai » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 pm

So we had one little guy, Eugene, pass away just shy of being with us for a month.
I had all but David and Eugene go underground in the past month. With having only David above ground, I decided to replace our loss, so we now have Eugene 2.0, Frank and our David. With adding the 2 new, I figured everything would be great. By day two with the addition, everyone but Frank is totally underground. Frank is hiding out in the hut and he dug down in but I still see movement so maybe hes distressing and coming out at night.

I'm very worried that my crabs underground may not come back up and now with all of them under I dont know what to do! This will be my first molt, literally all at once! I'm worried I'll do something wrong or I have and that's why they all went under. I have 7 crabs, 6 under. All PPs.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

New to crabbing an lovin'it!
7 PP's - David, Frank, Bob, Hank, Larry, Eugene 2.0, and Paul 2.0

Pumpkincrab

Re: All of them?!

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:59 pm

As long as you have the right tank conditions everything should be fine. What is your tank size? Heat? Humidity?
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 pm

I have a 20g, feed them all kinds of healthy yummies, fresh/salt pools, extra shells, playsand/coconut substrate mix, roughly 80/80. Everything is pretty much where it should be, I just cant believe I bought two more so we had a couple on the surface and even they went down.

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm

I wouldn't be worried. Try to relax and trust your crabbies! One of my crabs went under recently- I didn't even realize lol. She came up fine.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:34 pm

The only thing I didn't do that I probably should have done, was lightly dip them in the sw before introducing them, I could've stressed out them all, but nobody was fighting or anything so I guess I'll just cross my fingers. Most of them are pretty small in size so hopefully they'll only be a little while.

All PPs: David, Frank, Bob, Paul 2.0, Hank, and Eugene 2.0

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 pm

The dip at the start was unlikely to cause too much stress. I wouldn't worry too much about that. :)

New crabs typically dig under and distress for a couple of weeks before coming back up, this is normal. If they also moult (does happen on occasion) best you can do is ensure they have good conditions and they will come up when ready.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks y'all.
I guess since Frank is still somewhat active, I'll keep feeding him a smaller plate so to speak, since it's just him. I'll just make sure the tank is at the best levels, keep everything going and hope they all come up, sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'll just keep an eye out. I had just not heard of them all going under at the same time before.

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:48 pm

So a little update, Eugene 2.0 has come back up overnight but went right back under. Sad because where he was with his tunnel right up against the glass, you could see him moving and I knew he was just fine. Bright side, at least he was fine, but now I dont know where he moved to, all I know is he went back underground.
Frank still seems to be hiding out in the hut but also digs down, hes rarely seen outside of the coconut hut, but I know he's eating because of his size, he can go through quite a lot of food! Haha

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:55 pm

Well atleast they're all okay! And some of my crabs a lot too!

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 pm

So looking down into half of the tank this is where all my guys are hiding, pretty sure larry and bob are under the sticks, David went down in to the right of the upturned white and black shell and I think the rest of my crew, Eugene, Paul, and Hank are along the back wall somewhere and Frank is hiding out in the hut.

The other piccy, since this was the last picture before they all ran and hid.. David is in the green and white, Frank is in the white and Eugene 2 is up onto of the higher stick.ImageImage

Last edited by Beckanai on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:03 pm

Oh wow! Too cute!

Topic author
Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:47 pm

I wanted to post an update, they have all come up! We have successfully made it through everyone molting! I'm beyond excited, I can finally clean their tank and redo and clean up the substrate, but most of all, I can stop worrying! David, was the last to come up, he was the one I was most worried about. I cant believe how colorful a couple of them are as well. Pretty bright orange and purple on the smallest guy, Eugene. I'll try and get some pics. Thanks for all of your help and support! Anyone else worried, hang in there!

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:35 am

Beckanai wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 pm
So looking down into half of the tank this is where all my guys are hiding, pretty sure larry and bob are under the sticks, David went down in to the right of the upturned white and black shell and I think the rest of my crew, Eugene, Paul, and Hank are along the back wall somewhere and Frank is hiding out in the hut.

The other piccy, since this was the last picture before they all ran and hid.. David is in the green and white, Frank is in the white and Eugene 2 is up onto of the higher stick.ImageImage

Your crab is so cute! Just wanted to let you know that sponges aren't the best for your crabs, I as they can grow bacteria and mold and are very hard to keep clean :) :crabbigsmile:
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 am

HappyHermit0916 wrote: Your crab is so cute! Just wanted to let you know that sponges aren't the best for your crabs, I as they can grow bacteria and mold and are very hard to keep clean :) :crabbigsmile:
Sponges are ok to keep in the tank dry for the crabs to munch on. It's when they're placed in the water dishes they can harbor bacteria and get yucky. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 am
Sponges are ok to keep in the tank dry for the crabs to munch on. It's when they're placed in the water dishes they can harbor bacteria and get yucky. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Oh, ok! My bad! I didn't know that, but it'll be a good tip for the future. Thanks for letting me know! :crabbigsmile:
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper