I’m in a predicament - I need experienced hermit crab owners advice please!!!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Kellykoala333

I’m in a predicament - I need experienced hermit crab owners advice please!!!

Post by Kellykoala333 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:18 am

Hello,

I’m in a bit of a predicament. I’m moving into my fiancés house and out of my old one. I have 2 crabs that are currently molting in my 40 gallon breeder sized tank. They have been down for about 3 months now. I have a camera up in their tank and they haven’t come up once in that time frame so I know they must be molting. (There is also no bad scent - no fish smell)

I’m moving very soon (next week) into my new home. I don’t know what to do! I originally thought I could carefully move the big tank over to my new house, but now I’m hearing that the tank can cave in and everything will fall out. (And honestly the tank is SO heavy with all the sand and coco fiber I don’t even know if it would be possible to try and lift it)

I know generally you are never supposed to dig up a molting crab, but I read in the crab street journal you can do it carefully if you have to move.

Does anyone have experience with this or any advise? I can’t leave the crabs behind (and I certainly don’t want to!) so what is the best way to transport them safely, any advise for digging them up? And setting them up after digging them up?

I’m really worried I may accidentally harm them or their cave will fall in when I’m digging them up.

Please help!

Thanks,

Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Kellykoala333 on Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hermitsinnc

Re: I’m in a predicament - I need experienced hermit crab owners advice please!!!

Post by hermitsinnc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:29 am

Okay BREATHE.

You will not want to move the tank as a) it will be VERY heavy and b) their molting tunnels/caves are almost certain to collapse.

Once you do find them, you should put each into its own moist/dark/warm ISO (kritter keepers or plastic shoeboxes) and treat them as surface molters.

I know there was a thread on here somewhere of someone who had to dig for molting crabs. I'll see if I can find it.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

Jlmills525

Re: I’m in a predicament - I need experienced hermit crab owners advice please!!!

Post by Jlmills525 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:51 pm

you can use the search bar for "moving" or "moving molters" i'm sure there have been other posts... i have searched many times and found gold
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:42 pm

hermitsinnc wrote:Okay BREATHE.

You will not want to move the tank as a) it will be VERY heavy and b) their molting tunnels/caves are almost certain to collapse.

Once you do find them, you should put each into its own moist/dark/warm ISO (kritter keepers or plastic shoeboxes) and treat them as surface molters.

I know there was a thread on here somewhere of someone who had to dig for molting crabs. I'll see if I can find it.
I think they are dead! I found one that has a hollow looking body inside it’s shell. Do they typically molt inside their shell? I moved it over to another small tank but I think he’s dead. The hollow part is also in half :( does this mean he’s dead or do you think he’s hiding more back into the shell?

I couldn’t find the other but found little pieces so I think he must have died as well.

It was an awful discovery tonight.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:16 am

:comfort:

He could be hiding farther back and the hollow part could be his exo. They do shrink a bit immediately after molting. Just put him with it and wait [im]patiently to see if he moves at all.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:06 pm

I am sorry to say that I think your crab has died. I'm sorry.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers