Molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Kinah19

Molting?

Post by Kinah19 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:23 pm

Hi guys. About 2 weeks ago my crab Mr. Krabs went under. A couple of days after he went under the tank started to have a chemically smell. I did some research and saw that this may be because he is molting I’m not sure though. Anyways, I want to say like maybe a couple days to a week later I found a crab leg but it looks hollow (I’ll attach it). It has to be his because my other crab isn’t missing a leg. Do you think he’s molting? He’s still under and it’s been about 2 weeks I think. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting?

Post by curlysister » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Where did you find the leg? On the surface?
How big is your tank? How deep is your substrate? Wondering if the top side crab dug it up?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Kinah19

Post by Kinah19 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 pm

curlysister wrote:Where did you find the leg? On the surface?
How big is your tank? How deep is your substrate? Wondering if the top side crab dug it up?
Yes it was on the surface. My substrate it about 3-4 inches deep. My crabs aren’t that big they can completely burry themselves in the sand and out the sand on top of them. Not sure if I mentioned it but the leg does look hollow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:24 am

If it's hollow, it is from a molt. It could be left over from a previous molt. If the top side crab dug up the crab that is currently underground, there would be a lot more 'parts' found.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers