How do I tell if my molting crab is dead?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
_icosa_

How do I tell if my molting crab is dead?

Post by _icosa_ » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:08 pm

I posted a few days ago on here about one of my molting crabs that I was worried about. I noticed today that the cage smelled gross, kind of like fish, and she still hasn't come back up. She's in a separate tank and there's nothing in there that could be making that smell. I replaced the sand just under two months ago so theres no reason for it to smell nasty to my knowledge. Is she dead? Is there anyway to tell without letting the smell get worse? EDIT: The cage is in my room so is there anything i can do to cover up the smell? it's pretty bad.
The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself. - Laozi

Bwixx

Re: How do I tell if my molting crab is dead?

Post by Bwixx » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:47 pm

I Have no Idea if my crab Gary is molting or dead!
I got Gary from a pet store after getting my first crab. I got Gary so they had each other to keep company. For two months gray has looked dry and some of his clas have fallen off. I don't know if he is just molting though it has been almost 3 months!!

Bwixx

Post by Bwixx » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:48 pm

I Have no Idea if my crab Gary is molting or dead!
I got Gary from a pet store after getting my first crab. I got Gary so they had each other to keep company. For two months gray has looked dry and some of his clas have fallen off. I don't know if he is just molting though it has been almost 3 months

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:32 pm

This might be helpful?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92522
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers