New to hermit crabs and molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to hermit crabs and molting

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:20 pm

Sometimes they go through so much prior to us getting them, that they are not able to recover. The only thing that you can do is to make the improvements to your tank that have been described above and are outlined in the 'basics' care sheet - this will give them the best chance. Without better conditions, your other crab is also at risk of not surviving long term.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Thank you
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:50 am

Prayingmatis wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Thank you. How do I make sure that doesn't happen like that again?
My best advice is to read the care sheets here and follow the advice we gave you on this thread! Giving your little guys the best care you possibly can increased their chances of making it through stressful times and living longer! But like any animals, things can happen! Even people with "perfect" conditions can have losses, if you do everything right and it happens again, don't blame yourself! Also don't stress yourself out about getting everything perfect tomorrow, you're a new crab owner, it's going to take you some time, you're trying, and that's the best you can do!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 am

Prayingmatis wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Thank you. How do I make sure that doesn't happen like that again?
Also, don't limit yourself to just one website/source for information, if you only use one website/source for information you have no idea about other sources knowledge/opinions/etc.! I recommend the LHCO website, YouTube channels, and watching past CrabCon talks!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:56 am

Thank you I will def. be looking into those
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:33 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:56 am
Thank you I will def. be looking into those
I was you and your crab luck! Please keep us updated as you improve your tank conditions, we love to see improvement and will provide feedback if you ask for it!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:32 pm

I finally bought thermometer humidity gauge today.
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:21 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:32 pm
Yay! Congrats! I've been trying to get mine to stay up using gorilla tape (which hasn't worked with anything well besides the small climbing wall I taped to a plastic container for a second story), it's due to humidity, and it wasn't supposed to be long term anyways, I just have to figure out what else to use! 😂
~
~
KyMart

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 pm

KyMart wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 am
Also, don't limit yourself to just one website/source for information, if you only use one website/source for information you have no idea about other sources knowledge/opinions/etc.! I recommend the LHCO website, YouTube channels, and watching past CrabCon talks!
I decided when I got my crabs that I was only going to follow the recommendations of one group. There is a lot of conflicting information out there - many groups that simply repeat info that has been spread for a long time without even understanding why, some shame owners for doing things differently, some are so strict about there only being one way to care for crabs, and some are plain and simply annoying to me. I found HCA within the first days of having my crabs and decided I would only follow their advice. It has worked so well that it will be 13 years with my two crabs this fall!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:46 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:32 pm
That's great! Some people will tell you that it has to be in a certain place in the tank, or that it has to be off the substrate to be accurate - but I have always had mine sitting right on the substrate in the middle of the tank. I did put it at the back close to a heat mat for a bit (just to see what temperature the warmest area of the tank is) and at the very front (again, just to see what the temp is at the coolest part) - just so that I knew if those areas were in the 'safe' zone temperature wise. Then I put it in the center, where it has stayed ever since!

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:52 pm

Still not sure where the humidity should be as I have an air conditioner in my room and I keep the curtains closed so as they don't have to be in sunlight. I also read in a pet store care guide they need uvb or whatever it is. Was confused on that.
Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:23 pm

Have you had a chance to read through the 'basics' care sheet? It gives all the info you need for a healthy tank, including temp and humidity:
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 0&t=119273

There is a care sheet all about light - but basically if you have your tank in a room with a window where it will get indirect light, you don't need to have another source of light (you are correct that sunlight shouldn't beat down on a tank, as it can heat up too much quickly).