Molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Lpfavor

Molting

Post by Lpfavor » Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:15 pm

Hello! I have had ny hermit crabs for about 2 weeks now, they mostly have been buried and today I was looking to see if they were still alive and accidentally disturbed one of my little ones who just molted! His exoskeleton is still in the tank. I put him down and put the exoskeleton right in front of him. I'm not sure what else to do and wonder if he will be okay!

myllkti

Re: Molting

Post by myllkti » Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:59 pm

Lpfavor wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:15 pm
Hello! I have had ny hermit crabs for about 2 weeks now, they mostly have been buried and today I was looking to see if they were still alive and accidentally disturbed one of my little ones who just molted! His exoskeleton is still in the tank. I put him down and put the exoskeleton right in front of him. I'm not sure what else to do and wonder if he will be okay!
Heya! Cover him with half a large soda bottle, the top half without a cap. This will protect him from other crabs and still allow air and humidity in. He may well re-bury himself as well!
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:58 pm

myllkti wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:59 pm
Heya! Cover him with half a large soda bottle, the top half without a cap. This will protect him from other crabs and still allow air and humidity in. He may well re-bury himself as well!
Word of caution that if your other crab is underground still, do not push anything down into the sub, or you may harm the underground crab.

OP -
This is why we do not recommend 'going looking' for crabs underground - you didn't 'accidentally' disturb him, you dug him up while looking for him. Unfortunately, it was at a time when he had shed is exo but not eaten it, and his new exo hadn't hardened. This can be very risky and harmful to the crab. Don't go looking or digging unless there is an emergency like flood or a bacterial bloom.
As already stated, keep him isolated from your other crab. If the other one isn't buried, you can do the pop bottle method. If the other one is buried, consider a margarine container with holes poked in it to allow heat and humidity in. If you can keep him in the dark, that will simulate a molting cave. Do not re-bury him. Handle him as little as possible, to avoid further harm.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:54 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:58 pm
Word of caution that if your other crab is underground still, do not push anything down into the sub, or you may harm the underground crab.
Yes, agree completely! thank you for clarifying

And of course ^^ to the rest of your advice as well
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p