Post Molt Personality Changes

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Post Molt Personality Changes

Post by Guest » Thu May 24, 2007 11:26 pm

Do any of your crabs get personality transplants after a molt? Some of mine act the same but my favorite crab, Marley (he's the one in the avatar) just molted. He used to be the friendliest/most easy to handle and now he's all skiddish. Here's hoping it wears off now that his back in gen pop.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri May 25, 2007 2:43 am

Yep, King Kong became quite nervous after his last molt. I did dig him up though, even though he had finished his molt, he didnt want to return. I thought he was attacked, so I had to check. He was fine, though, exo eaten and all. But he is much more nervous now, but thats slowing getting better.

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Fri May 25, 2007 3:21 pm

Yep, sometimes crabs are like that. I used to have a really mean crab who pinched alot, but after his molt he's feeling pretty friendly now.
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Sat May 26, 2007 11:21 am

:( My Bud always tends to be more shy after coming back up from molting. It lasts for a few weeks sometimes. Hope your baby gets back to his normal, happy-go-lucky self shortly! :P
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 26, 2007 11:46 am

Yes, I have definitely noticed personality changes, one of my most shy and crabby(lol) crabs molted and since then she is very outgoing!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 26, 2007 10:26 pm

My Ebb has been a go getter since day one but has BIGMAN syndrome since his molt. He is so funny.

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:50 am

uno was vissios be4 his moult, now he is quiet and likes to hid alot, he is very gentle now

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 12:32 am

"bigman" syndrome...that's funny. It's like when the molt, it really was a "new" crab growing under there.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 10:14 am

I've had a few hermies become more social after a molt when before they were very shy and I rarely saw them. Then I have a hermie that went the opposite way, always out and friendly, and then after his recent molt he vecame very shy, and always hides when I pick him up now. Some of them too will become more assertive, especially if they change shells after a molt. They seem to think that being slightly bigger allows them to try and take on the lead hermie in the tank, though they usually fail. :roll:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 am

Nippy was downright MEAN (thus his name) when I first got him. He pinched me in the pet store, pinched me when I put him into the tank, and pinched me pretty much whenever I tried to pick him up for whatever reason.

He molted and now he's sweet and docile. Not overly social, but I haven't been nipped by him since. Maybe high concentrations of molting and antimolting hormone make craps nippy and irritable?