Getting ready to molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Getting ready to molt?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 am

I moved my crabs into a new tank about a week ago. The first few days they were really active. The past 2 days they have dug down a little bit but not completely buried themselves & have barely moved. I checked Weeman & his legs & big pincher have milky spots.

I've never been through a molt so I don't exactly know what to expect. Is they getting ready to molt or is something seriously wrong?

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:12 am

I don't know about the "milky" spots, but they might be molting. Have they been munching on more food or water recently? If not they could just be down to de-stress form being moved into a new 'tat.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:53 pm

ummmm. . . one ate quite a bit before this inactive period.

I'll keep you guys informed once I figure this out.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:28 am

Ok! I wish you good luck. :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Rhoney

Post by Rhoney » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:49 am

Good Luck, to the right there is a drop down menu for molting crabs which should help you out------->>>>Good Luck [smilie=thumbsup.gif]
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 am

BOOSCARY MOLTED!!!!!!!!! I was scoping out the tat & Booscary just didn't look right under the log. I picked up the log & his exoskeleton was kinda propping up his shell. I could see that he was still in his shell but couldn't tell if he was moving. I got so excited b/c it was my first molt, I called my fiance & he was like "ummmmm..... ok". I just really hope he will be ok.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:12 pm

fire_empress69 wrote:... I got so excited b/c it was my first molt, I called my fiance & he was like "ummmmm..... ok".
LMBO!! Yeah... You'll get used to that. I get a lot of long blinks and "Babe... I really don't get the crab jokes..." (I tend to show him funny posts... :oops: Poor guy... lol)