Moting Journal ... 1st - 2nd week of FEB08

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Moting Journal ... 1st - 2nd week of FEB08

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

Maui, the most vibrant pink ruggie has just molted last night. The exo is quite intact:

This C.violascens has crooked legs & dented BP since the new libs were caught by the old esoskleton ( I had to crack the old exo to free the BP ) :Image
Hermit crab lover since 1981
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am

WOW, Mokulele!!! Beautiful coloring of her exo.....can't wait to see what color she is when she begins to harden again. Awesome pics, but why do you think she surface molted?

One of my larger violas has a twisted back leg, that occurred with his last molt. I suspected that it was either from resting against the glass of the tank, or perhaps he got caught in his exo. Since I didn't see him molting against the glass, I would have to think that it was a stuck-exo situation.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Very vibrant colorings. I can't wait to see what color the Ruggie becomes as it hardens. :colors:

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:16 pm

You've got some amazing crabs. :) I can't wait to see what color the Ruggie ends up once hardened.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 am

*Kathy* wrote:WOW, Mokulele!!! Beautiful coloring of her exo.....can't wait to see what color she is when she begins to harden again. Awesome pics, but why do you think she surface molted?
THANKS ... yes, Maui molted on the cozy surface of my quarantine tank.
I still have 4 more patients in that tank.

This is Taveuni. I bought him from Karangbolong Beach (Sunda Strait) in October 2005. After his third molt, he gets bluer and bluer ( lost his orange tone ):
This picture was taken few days after I bought him in 2005:
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 am

Nice! :o

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:21 am

Another patient came this afternoon - a white ruggie:

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 am

Wow :o :o :o

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 am

Here is Maui, after 4 days hardening his new exo. But I still isolate him in the quarantine tank:

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 am

Is it just me or is the top of that hermie, green??? :|
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Out of curiosity, do all your crabs pull surface molts? Do any of them dig down?

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Wow! Amazing pictures and amazing colors! Such a beautiful mix you have there!!

Congrats on the successful molts!
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:32 am

Tetracolor wrote:Is it just me or is the top of that hermie, green??? :|
Actually, it's grey.
Raen_83 wrote:Out of curiosity, do all your crabs pull surface molts? Do any of them dig down?
Not all ... some of the molters in the isolation tank do dig down.
When I suspect some crabs are about to molt, I move them to the isolation tank. Some just continuing their 'hibernation' under the upside-down half coconut shell then shed the exo; some dig into the sand.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:21 am

That's really interesting. I'm always shocked by surface molts as it's not the best method for survival should they pull one outside the safety of a tank with a caring owner. lol I'm undergoing my first molt where a crab did not fully dig down and even that is unnerving to me. They must take years off your life! lol

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:09 am

Maui's update ( per 26FEB08 ) - the pink color has been stronger & brighter: