I was the 'midwife molter' for my PP

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:19 am

peggycats wrote:What a nightmare! I'm pulling for little Miracle!

I wouldn't have believed they could steal shells underground, until I found my little Lefty naked with the culprits old shell right next to her! Incredible :x.

Yep, that is right, they can steal the shells from under ground!! That is exactly what happened to mine, and the theif's shell was right beside my poor little naked guy!
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 pm

What an amazing story!
If he makes it Ok it will be interesting to see how he acts around you.
Wishing you the best
:)

evre1's-mom

Post by evre1's-mom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Well..... any news yet? I'm still waiting to exhale. :|
9 PP's and 1 Rug. RIP Willie 4-24-08, Spitz, 5-30-08 & our little friend we never named 9/08
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23401121@N04/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23357033@N05/

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am

missy_pq@yahoo.com wrote:Well..... any news yet? I'm still waiting to exhale. :|
Well, this guy is still alive. I can't see his mouth parts moving like they should though, and that worries me.

I guess I can try to feed him some baby food. What really bothers me, is that he was not able to eat his exo. I didn't see him eat any of it, and he molted on Feb. 2.

What should I do now??

He is still alive....his big pincher is a little deformed, but his feeder claw works well, b/c he shoves it at me, like he wants to pinch me...

Not sure what to do....
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Could it be that you didn't manage to remove all the exo from the inner mandibles? I'd try the baby food if I were you. I hope that if that is the case, that he molts again and rights himself. Good luck.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 am

Raen_83 wrote:Could it be that you didn't manage to remove all the exo from the inner mandibles? I'd try the baby food if I were you. I hope that if that is the case, that he molts again and rights himself. Good luck.
I am not sure about his mouth and mandible area....he is acting very funny about the shell he was in, and I found him naked last night, away from his shell. So, I found a much lighter version of the same shell, and put him in it. So far he has stayed in it.

I put a very small piece of papaya in there this morning, I hope he is interested. I seen him moving his mouth parts very slowly this morning, but that was better than no movement at all!

He seems very weak, but he is very alert, I see him jump, and move his eyes down when I open his ISO, so I can only hope for the best.

I hope to see some marks on the papaya when I get home this evening...
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 am

Well movement of the mouth parts is a very good sign! I've got lots of hope and well wishes heading your way. Keep us posted.

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:43 am

Raen_83 wrote:Well movement of the mouth parts is a very good sign! I've got lots of hope and well wishes heading your way. Keep us posted.
Very small movement...but some. And that was exciting! I just hope he keeps being as strong as he can, to somehow, pull through this...

Thanks for the encouraging replies!
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:55 am

You're welcome. :) I really am on the edge of my seat and hoping he pulls through.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:02 pm

:comfort: .... Be strong little guy [smilie=barbells.gif]

I little group song to put out good vibes and good recovery.
:happy10: :headbang: :smt035 :smt034

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Maketah wrote::comfort: .... Be strong little guy [smilie=barbells.gif]

I little group song to put out good vibes and good recovery.
:happy10: :headbang: :smt035 :smt034
That is very sweet :wink:

It was just so hard to hold that little guy last night, and those 2 big eye stalks looking up at me in such need....and me not knowing what exactly it needs....I just want to do all I can for it.

I am so happy he is still alive!
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

evre1's-mom

Post by evre1's-mom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:24 pm

Angela,
Has he eaten any baby food yet? I'm pulling for both of you! Wish I could do something to help.
9 PP's and 1 Rug. RIP Willie 4-24-08, Spitz, 5-30-08 & our little friend we never named 9/08
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23401121@N04/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23357033@N05/

Topic author
Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 am

:crabcry:

Well, I went down there this morning to check on this little guy.....he had passed away sometime last night. I guess it just wasn't meant to be, and it was all too much for him :(

He did try, and he tried hard. It brought tears to my eyes this morning. I don't know what went wrong, I just think the whole situation was too much for his little heart. He did live a good while though, b/c he molted on Feb. 2. So, today is Feb. 21. I really thought he was going to pull through.

It just breaks my heart to pieces....I had him since Sept. 06, I had bought him from the beach when I went to a friend's wedding....he had already had 3 good molts for me....

I just want you all to know, that I appreciate all the good vibes, support, and suggestions....and I know that you all understand more than anyone else.....it was so hard to look into his little eye stalks....makes me tear up now thinking about it....

Again, thank you all for your support.....and I wish you all the best crabby molts in the future....

[smilie=sad.gif]
Angela

Crabbin' since 97!

wickedannabella

Post by wickedannabella » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:38 am

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh I am SOOOOOO sorry! I just found this thread and was really pulling for you! He really fought hard!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm crying with you and I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I had the right words for you right now, but all I can say is that I'm here if you want to talk or need to talk. Just pm me.

:comfort:

We're all here for you.

Again, so sorry.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:50 am

My heart goes out to you.
You certainly did all you possible could for the little guy.
I'm so sorry.