is it normal for a hermit crab that looks ready to molt to..

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

is it normal for a hermit crab that looks ready to molt to..

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm

is i normal for a hermie to start a digging from a molt ive only ever had 1 molt it was a surfus but he turned out okay this time same guy is molting he looks like he is digging right now he had cloudy eyes so i think a molt is comming so is it normal?
i hope i helped
not really a master im kinda new
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)
and herman (purple pincher)

Marina

Post by Marina » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Hermit crabs molt in the sand in the wild, so yes, it is normal. Make sure your sand is deep enough and that it's sand castle consistency. All of my molters have come up beautifully from their molts in the sand. :)

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Digging is normal behavior for hermit crabs period, but yes, it's possible he's digging down to molt. Good luck!

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm

i know diging is but do they usaly dig in hiding spots like co co huts?
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

Marina

Post by Marina » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Thecrabmaster1 wrote:i know diging is but do they usaly dig in hiding spots like co co huts?
They'll dig wherever they can. They also dig under water dishes. I had one of my Es molt under the water dish.

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 am

Hermit crab patch has the best molting info i know of and it even has photos.. http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Hermit-C ... -a/138.htm
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:24 pm

thanks i thouht my big one was guna go into molt first as he had cloudy eyes before my small one but my little guy dug diwn to day i hope that this molt will be as sucsessful as my last except he will be underround my first was a forced surface molt because of gavel but i have sand now hope it goes well im wishing him luck.
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:24 pm

It is normal for a hermit crab to display cloudiness in their eyes when they are getting ready to molt. They share this characteristic with snakes and lizards.

I believe that a hermit crab normally looks for objects in their environment to support their tunnels and molting chambers. Therefor it is completely normal for them to start digging under or next to dishes, pools, cocohuts, and other structures that can offer a wall or ceiling.

Good luck on a successful molt!
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

Topic author
Thecrabmaster1

Post by Thecrabmaster1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:46 pm

thanks i hope to make it 2 wins 0 losess my first sucsesful molt the odds were stacked aginast me as it was a surface molt hope i never have to deal with a surface molt agan
i hope i helped
1 pp and 1 e

names of them
blue ray (RIP)