5 Hermies, 5 Molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Unknown10101

5 Hermies, 5 Molting

Post by Unknown10101 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey guys I'm new to molting and before I joined this site, I had a smaller tank, I'm not sure how many gallons but it definitely wasn't good enough to molt in, because of its small size and low sand level. After realizing this I moved my beloved hermies into a bigger, more spacious 10 gallon. Now, I noticed that one buried deep into the sand. I really was worried so I looked for it in the sand and found it buried, so I know that he's safe, and another one buried and I found it at the same time. Now, one by one, each one of my 5 crabs is disappearing. I'm really worried because I'm afraid that the 3 might have found their way out. I mean, is it just a coincidence that all 5 crabs went molting/missing at the same time? OR is it just that now that I have given them a bigger space, they are molting? I really am worried and I really hope that they haven't escaped! Oh and BTW please excuse my horrible grammar! :hlol: :D
5 PPs

Mike120

Post by Mike120 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:22 pm

It could have been that all of them Are trying to molt because the conditions are now ideal. However, you should never dig for a crab even if you think it's missing, it could interupt a molt and they could die. It is also believed that hermit crabs will molt on certain moon cycles and barometric changes, but that's just theory.

Topic author
Unknown10101

Post by Unknown10101 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Yeah I figured that out AFTER I dug him up! Is this week like a weird moon cycle ?
5 PPs

sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:57 pm

hermit crabs sometimes like to molt together i guess... mine always are underground at the same time. and now that you have better conditions, im sure that they have been prolonging molts and took this good opportunity to molt:)
nothing to be worried about!:)
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 am

Sometimes hermit crabs will hold off on molting until they feel the conditions they are living in are good enough.

Upgrading their tank probably did the trick, there.

As for mass molting - it happens. It's the worst because everyone is gone and you have this feeling like "omg. i need more crabs" but they'll be up again before you know it.

And definitely never go digging for a crab unless there is no other choice. :)