Woo-hoo!!!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
BandCadet1

Woo-hoo!!!

Post by BandCadet1 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:57 pm

I had my first successful molt this week. Boo-Boo had been down for 37 days before making a reappearance. There were so many times I just wanted to dig him him up but this group kept me from it. I thought I would post some pics of him. He is still digging a lot and I have barely seen him since Tuesday but tonight, he was a little active when I came home from work so I shot some pics. In some of the pictures, I could really see the hair on his legs and the talons. He is also paler than before but I don't have any good pics of him before he molted.

Immediately post molt. He's so tiny!!!

Immediately post molt, trying out his legs

Testing his legs

To the top of the wall in less than 30 seconds.

Here he, 3 days post molt, trying to escape the tank. I would say his legs are working pretty well.

A good pic of his hairy legs and his talons.

So what do you think?

I am so excited for him to do so well with his molt. His conditions weren't exactly the best when he buried himself but I made sure they were as great as I could every day after that. He was my first one to go down for a molt. Now I just have to wait on my other 2 to reappear.
Last edited by BandCadet1 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becky

4 PP's: Tom, Jerry, Yogi, and Boo-Boo

Crabbing since March 2011

Silvercloud

Post by Silvercloud » Sat May 28, 2011 1:39 am

Very nice! Congrats on your first successful molt! Your crabby looks so cute ^.^
All 3 of my crabs are currently under molting for the first time too, so I'm very nervous about it :|
Proud owner of 6 Aussies ~ Pinchy, Casper, Calypso, Kingsley, Blueberry and Cino.

Been crabbing since February 2011

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 am

Congrats on the successful molt! Look at those pointy little toes. He may darken up in the week or so after he comes up. Also, their color is partially based on their diet so some of his color now may be from what he was fed before you got him.
Owner of 4 PPs