Ruggie Molting issues

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Ruggie Molting issues

Post by Zoeythelost » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:44 pm

With the recent death of my ruggie, Fug, my other ruggie having a not so successful molt, and now amolkentine ruggie death. I'm starting to believe the rumors about ruggies having molting issues is true. I would love to hear from people who have and had kept ruggies for a while if they experience similar things. what is causing them and can be done to prevent further issues. or is this just bad luck? As I have now found myself the proud and unexpected owners of 5 ruggies, one who is currently molting, this information could be very helpful for me. I always provide HCP mineral supply and a cuttlebone for my crabs.
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.

CrabAddict99

Re: Ruggie Molting issues

Post by CrabAddict99 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:17 pm

I've already shared my experiences about rugosus here:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 23&t=84121

Member SojMad shared her experiences recently (her post is 5th or 6th down):
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 13#p772113

I personally never had a problem with e's molting as some members have experienced. I don't say they are rumors though...

I say enjoy your newbies :) and try not to worry too much.
'Hermit crabs are like potato chips, you can't have just one'
brevimanus•clypeatus•compressus•perlatus•purpureus•violascens
microfauna (Porcellio scaber,Oniscus asellus, Porcellio "dalmatians")
~ crabby since October 1999
I <3 my @:<

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I've already read both of those CrabAddict, I even started one of those threads.
I'm more so looking for answers or brainstorming what can be done differently. I don't particularly like just accepting they are going to die, people with straws surely do not do that.

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry you found the links unsatisfactory.
Having owned strawberries since 2004 my experiences have shown me they don't live past 3 years. Again, this is my personal experience. I am prepared knowing this that one day they will sadly die as will all my crabs sooner or later regardless of species.
I wish there is something that can be done differently while in our care but sharing experiences and techniques is all we could do as a community.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:05 pm

CrabAddict99 wrote: I wish there is something that can be done differently while in our care but sharing experiences and techniques is all we could do as a community.
And that is what I would like to do right now! Surely someone has ruggies surviving? You don't hear about ruggies dying off constantly the way you hear about strawberries dying constantly. Is that because they simply arent as pretty and popular?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:23 pm

It could also be simple PPS. There are so many PP owners out there that a few PP deaths go unnoticed. There aren't that many ruggie owners, so in comparison each death hits harder.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:32 pm

wodesorel wrote:It could also be simple PPS. There are so many PP owners out there that a few PP deaths go unnoticed. There aren't that many ruggie owners, so in comparison each death hits harder.
If that was so there most likely would be ruggie owners out there who have had ruggies live past the PPS time period. I would love to hear what they are doing to have theirs survive if anything different. I refuse to believe Ruggies are poisonous as mentioned on another thread.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking that's not likely either. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Zoeythelost wrote:
If that was so there most likely would be ruggie owners out there who have had ruggies live past the PPS time period. I would love to hear what they are doing to have theirs survive if anything different. I refuse to believe Ruggies are poisonous as mentioned on another thread.
Not all my ruggies were problem molters. I had a few live past 3 years. Did nothing different for them.
This guy made it to 4 years:

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:30 pm

This particular ruggie had beautiful coloration so I was lucky to find him. But a few years ago Petco would sell mostly ruggies, brevis, violas (rare) and cavipes (rarer). They'd even have a separate tank full of Strawberries and charge $10.99 regardless of size. It was actually harder to find pp's and e's (for me at least)!

ginapo

Post by ginapo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I got three ruggies in the winter of 09, and two did not make it past the 6 month mark, I think they both died while molting, and the third just passed away on me this month, once again, I think during a molt. : C I did originally use 100% eco earth, which may have had an impact on the early deaths. It's funny, because I don't have my ruggies anymore, but I still have my strawbaby which I got at the same time. Not what I was expecting to happen at all.

I also found that my ruggies spent a lot of their time buried and I hardly saw them, which seems different from what other people have said about them.
Crab mom for two happy years!

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:00 pm

ginapo wrote:I got three ruggies in the winter of 09, and two did not make it past the 6 month mark, I think they both died while molting, and the third just passed away on me this month, once again, I think during a molt. : C I did originally use 100% eco earth, which may have had an impact on the early deaths. It's funny, because I don't have my ruggies anymore, but I still have my strawbaby which I got at the same time. Not what I was expecting to happen at all.

I also found that my ruggies spent a lot of their time buried and I hardly saw them, which seems different from what other people have said about them.
That really is very sad. I love ruggies, they are probably my fave. I wish there was more concrete evidence of what an owner could do to help them thrive.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Well good news. My ruggie Bug came up from his molt today with all his legs!! I think, havent taken him out to get a close look. This is his second molt with me and making me a little more hopeful.
Bug is always buried or hiding. Fug, the one that died, was always in the open normally eating but slept in strange places right in the open.

Topic author
Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Just checked and sure enough Bug is still missing that leg. Which I coulda sworn I saw 3 legs on that side so maybe he dropped it since than? Whats the chance, two molts and still has not to grow back that leg?

fate4003

Post by fate4003 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Zoeythelost wrote:Just checked and sure enough Bug is still missing that leg. Which I coulda sworn I saw 3 legs on that side so maybe he dropped it since than? Whats the chance, two molts and still has not to grow back that leg?
Are you serious?? :shock:
I knew they were "special" crabs...but I can't believe it! I'm so sorry!!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
18 crabs! PP'S (sammy, ignats, puffeley, doofenshmirtz, phineas, ferb, perry and squirmy) E'S (herman, lady bug, zo) RUGGIES (meep, major monogram and carl) BLUES (beauford and baljeet) INDOS (candace and isabella)
5 fish, 3 cats and a human kid.