Molt seemingly taking too long

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
mckeanmr

Molt seemingly taking too long

Post by mckeanmr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Before I posted this I combed through previous posts just to make sure I couldn't find my answers. I really want to verify if I'm correct. If a crab is completely buried, has a problem molting, and ends up not making it the tank will begin to smell even with the crab buried correct? I have a small crab(about the size of a quarter) who has been buried for over a month now. From everything I've read that's longer than a typical molt for his size. I have no clue what type of crab the little one is (I just started crabbing in september). I am proud to say I have had one successful with my other crab who is about a medium size crab. I'm just worried about the little one and I need to change the substrate soon because it is not ideally deep enough. I have not been smelling any kind of bad fish smell so far.

Jackolope

Re: Molt seemingly taking too long

Post by Jackolope » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 pm

sometimes molting can take several months, it is a stressful time for crab so i don't think you should disturb him.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

Topic author
mckeanmr

Post by mckeanmr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Several months even for a small crab?

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 pm

I had a teeny/small stay down for 59 days. Sometimes they just decide to take a while. If they are under the substrate and die you may not smell anything. The way I figure it, if you dig and he's dead nothing changes, if he's molting and you dig him up you could do harm. Of course, there is always those who have a gut feel that a crab is in trouble and dig them up to find that they were attached, so sometimes you have to go with instinct.
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
mckeanmr

Post by mckeanmr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 am

okay, knowing you had a crab that was small take longer make me feel better. I've been keeping a close eye on the other crab I have to make sure he hasn't been digging too deep. Sometimes he makes shallow holes in places but as long as I keep it warm he doesn't dig. I figured if the other crab dig him up I would see evidence of it. My small crab is a rescue and what he was in when I got him wasn't a good habitat at all so I'm assuming he might have put off molting because of this. Also I know he put off molting during the time my other crab molted because 5 hours after my bigger crab came up from molting the small one buried himself. So I will continue to let things be the way they are for now and see if he will come up in the next few weeks since it's only been 33 days. Thank you!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

If he had to put off molting for some time, it could take much longer than it normally would. Also, size is not the only determinant; crabs are individuals and some take longer than others for reasons known only to them. Lesson one of crabbing: PATIENCE. :)
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
mckeanmr

Post by mckeanmr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

My little crab survived! He surfaced last night and went directly to the bowl. He was down a total of 44 days.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 am

:cheer: Glad that he molted successfully for you!
Owner of 4 PPs