my first molt successful !

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
kuza

my first molt successful !

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:52 am

pics to come when he/she has calmed down a bit. Those nails are insane sharp though, like wow!

bksbuddha

Re: my first molt successful !

Post by bksbuddha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 am

:cheer: On the successful molt...that's awesome! I always love seeing those pointy toes & fuzzy little buggers. I'm looking forward to the pics of your adorable, pointy, fuzzy baby. 8)
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Congrats! :clap: Can't wait to see your little baby :)
That first molt is always the most exciting (and frightening) one!
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 pm

ya I was so worried because of the mad digger I posted about. I can't even take pics yet because she's so dirty, the sand has cemented to her shell and I'd have to rub it off. I think I'll just let her be for now and let nature take it's course. She really doesn't want to be held right now. She's eating a lot, I wonder if the digger maybe ate her exo

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Ok so this is what I have for now, she`s pretty dark and colorful compared to her picture in my avatar.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:56 pm

And can any of you tell me what type of nerite shell these are? Both Bernie up there and below, my new one Bella and my 3rd E, bang Bang.

I have lots of D shape shells, but no nerites!! I can't seem to find these with the bumps/grooves running along them anywhere.

Bella

Bang Bang

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:03 pm

:D Awwwww what a little cutie pie. She looks gorgeous. Thank you so very much for sharing your pics of your fuzzy, point tat trasher!!!!
As for Nerites, I believe they only come in very small sizes...could be wrong. :wink: Your babies look to be just a bit too big for those, but maybe it's just an optical illusion. Search over at Naples for some ideas, remembering that a lot of the mesurements are the overall shell size, unless stated opening size. 8)
Just put some cuttlebone/eggshells in the food dish for her in case she really wants some. One of mine actually at a shell once! :hlol:
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm

lol that would be a sight. And I have crushed oyster shell, mineral supplement, worm castings and cuttlebone/honey and kelp mixes al from HCP in the tank now. Then they have the kibble/treat bowl. They are spoiled!

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Intil I hear that they're feasting on shrimp tails & lobster, like mine do occasionally, I say they're not totally spoiled yet! :hlol: I've even been known to shop for their foods at Whole Foods. There was always the running joke that my hermies eat better than we do. :roll: My husband knows where he stands...the end of the line.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm not sure on the first shell, but the second one may be a type of thias shell. Here's one variety at the HCP: http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Natural- ... 1-o012.htm Here's another at Naples: http://naplesseashellcompany.com/thias_ ... crabs.html
Owner of 4 PPs

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

cute! congrats on the successful molt! :)
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 pm

bksbuddha wrote:Intil I hear that they're feasting on shrimp tails & lobster, like mine do occasionally, I say they're not totally spoiled yet! :hlol: I've even been known to shop for their foods at Whole Foods. There was always the running joke that my hermies eat better than we do. :roll: My husband knows where he stands...the end of the line.
the first food I bought them was that canned fluckers gourmet shrimp. But I won't buy it again, it stinks way too much, I thought crabs were dieing. Now I get the kibble and freeze dried stuff.